Jun 17, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT
LSU announced on Tuesday the addition of former NBA head coach Eric Musselman to their coaching staff.
Musselman, who spent the past couple of seasons as an assistant with Arizona State, was the head coach of the Golden State Warriors from 2002-2004 and coached Sacramento during the 2006-2007 season. He finished second in Coach of the Yeaar voting to Greg Popovich during his first season with Golden State.
“We are excited about the addition of coach Eric Musselman,” said LSU head coach Johnny Jones. “He brings a wealth of NBA and college experience that will be beneficial as we strive to continue to take LSU Basketball to new heights. He will be involved in all aspects of our program.”
Musselman is a basketball lifer whose father, Bill, was also an NBA head coach. He’s not a guy that’s being brought into the program because of his ability to recruit. LSU was one of the more talented teams in the SEC last season, but they struggled with their execution and discipline a season ago. Musselman is the kind of x’s-and-o’s basketball mind that can address that issue.
“I really am excited to join the LSU family, a place that has such a storied athletic program, and help Coach Jones and the staff continue to make strides,” said Musselman in the release. “It will be challenging to learn about another great conference as the SEC. Anytime you can join a program that has a Final Four appearance in the past decade and 20 NCAA Tournaments overall, you know great things can happen again. In talking with Coach Jones, I am excited to get to work and help make it happen.”
LSU returns two potential NBA Draft picks in Jarrell Martin and Jordan Mickey, and with Musselman in the mix as well, a trip to the NCAA tournament should be the expectation.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 0
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)