Jun 17, 2014, 10:53 AM EST
Incoming freshman D’angelo Russell has not yet been cleared to enroll at Ohio State as he awaits a qualifying test score which would allow him to be cleared by the NCAA’s Eligibility Center. The news was first reported by Bob Baptist of the Columbus Dispatch.
Russell is a key recruit for head coach Thad Matta. The 6-foot-4 lefty is ranked as the No. 18 recruit in the Class of 2014, and while he has the handle to be able to spend some time at the point where Russell truly excels is as a scorer on the wing. He’s a big-time shooter with deep range that is effective enough off the dribble that he will keep defenders honest.
And if you were paying any attention to Ohio State the last two seasons, what they have been missing is a guy on the wing that can score. The Buckeyes were not pretty to watch offensively last season and they’ll be entering the 2014-2015 season without LaQuinton Ross, Lenzelle Smith or Aaron Craft.
Ohio State needs Russell next season, which means Buckeye fans will be holding their breath until he gets his test scores back.
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)