Jun 17, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Incoming freshman D’angelo Russell has not yet been cleared to enroll at Ohio State as he awaits a qualifying test score which would allow him to be cleared by the NCAA’s Eligibility Center. The news was first reported by Bob Baptist of the Columbus Dispatch.
Russell is a key recruit for head coach Thad Matta. The 6-foot-4 lefty is ranked as the No. 18 recruit in the Class of 2014, and while he has the handle to be able to spend some time at the point where Russell truly excels is as a scorer on the wing. He’s a big-time shooter with deep range that is effective enough off the dribble that he will keep defenders honest.
And if you were paying any attention to Ohio State the last two seasons, what they have been missing is a guy on the wing that can score. The Buckeyes were not pretty to watch offensively last season and they’ll be entering the 2014-2015 season without LaQuinton Ross, Lenzelle Smith or Aaron Craft.
Ohio State needs Russell next season, which means Buckeye fans will be holding their breath until he gets his test scores back.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)