Jun 17, 2014, 10:53 AM EST
Incoming freshman D’angelo Russell has not yet been cleared to enroll at Ohio State as he awaits a qualifying test score which would allow him to be cleared by the NCAA’s Eligibility Center. The news was first reported by Bob Baptist of the Columbus Dispatch.
Russell is a key recruit for head coach Thad Matta. The 6-foot-4 lefty is ranked as the No. 18 recruit in the Class of 2014, and while he has the handle to be able to spend some time at the point where Russell truly excels is as a scorer on the wing. He’s a big-time shooter with deep range that is effective enough off the dribble that he will keep defenders honest.
And if you were paying any attention to Ohio State the last two seasons, what they have been missing is a guy on the wing that can score. The Buckeyes were not pretty to watch offensively last season and they’ll be entering the 2014-2015 season without LaQuinton Ross, Lenzelle Smith or Aaron Craft.
Ohio State needs Russell next season, which means Buckeye fans will be holding their breath until he gets his test scores back.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)