Jun 17, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Incoming freshman D’angelo Russell has not yet been cleared to enroll at Ohio State as he awaits a qualifying test score which would allow him to be cleared by the NCAA’s Eligibility Center. The news was first reported by Bob Baptist of the Columbus Dispatch.
Russell is a key recruit for head coach Thad Matta. The 6-foot-4 lefty is ranked as the No. 18 recruit in the Class of 2014, and while he has the handle to be able to spend some time at the point where Russell truly excels is as a scorer on the wing. He’s a big-time shooter with deep range that is effective enough off the dribble that he will keep defenders honest.
And if you were paying any attention to Ohio State the last two seasons, what they have been missing is a guy on the wing that can score. The Buckeyes were not pretty to watch offensively last season and they’ll be entering the 2014-2015 season without LaQuinton Ross, Lenzelle Smith or Aaron Craft.
Ohio State needs Russell next season, which means Buckeye fans will be holding their breath until he gets his test scores back.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)