Jun 18, 2014, 9:36 PM EST
Just three days after USA Basketball announced the 12 members of the Under-18 National Team that will compete in the FIBA Americas U18 Championships that begin Friday, a family illness has necessitated a change. Due to that issue UNLV signee and 6-foot-7 forward Dwayne Morgan has to leave the team, with USA Basketball calling in 2015 center Chase Jeter to be Morgan’s replacement.
Jeter, a 7-footer who attends Bishop Gorman HS in Las Vegas, is a five-star prospect being recruited by many of the nation’s premier college programs. Among those in pursuit of Jeter’s services are Duke, Arizona, UCLA and UNLV.
“We’re really, really sorry that Dwayne is unable to play, he’s great kid and we’re sorry to hear about the illness in his family and we are supportive of his decision to return home,” U18 national team head coach Billy Donovan said in the release.
“So we’re bringing back Chase Jeter. It was really close with Chase, he played well enough during our training camp to make the team. I’m excited he’s willing to come back on such short notice. He’s a great kid and he really made a big impression on all of us.”
Jeter’s return to the squad means that Bishop Gorman now has two players on the roster, with fellow 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman being the other.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)