Jun 18, 2014, 9:36 PM EST
Just three days after USA Basketball announced the 12 members of the Under-18 National Team that will compete in the FIBA Americas U18 Championships that begin Friday, a family illness has necessitated a change. Due to that issue UNLV signee and 6-foot-7 forward Dwayne Morgan has to leave the team, with USA Basketball calling in 2015 center Chase Jeter to be Morgan’s replacement.
Jeter, a 7-footer who attends Bishop Gorman HS in Las Vegas, is a five-star prospect being recruited by many of the nation’s premier college programs. Among those in pursuit of Jeter’s services are Duke, Arizona, UCLA and UNLV.
“We’re really, really sorry that Dwayne is unable to play, he’s great kid and we’re sorry to hear about the illness in his family and we are supportive of his decision to return home,” U18 national team head coach Billy Donovan said in the release.
“So we’re bringing back Chase Jeter. It was really close with Chase, he played well enough during our training camp to make the team. I’m excited he’s willing to come back on such short notice. He’s a great kid and he really made a big impression on all of us.”
Jeter’s return to the squad means that Bishop Gorman now has two players on the roster, with fellow 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman being the other.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)