Jun 18, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Just three days after USA Basketball announced the 12 members of the Under-18 National Team that will compete in the FIBA Americas U18 Championships that begin Friday, a family illness has necessitated a change. Due to that issue UNLV signee and 6-foot-7 forward Dwayne Morgan has to leave the team, with USA Basketball calling in 2015 center Chase Jeter to be Morgan’s replacement.
Jeter, a 7-footer who attends Bishop Gorman HS in Las Vegas, is a five-star prospect being recruited by many of the nation’s premier college programs. Among those in pursuit of Jeter’s services are Duke, Arizona, UCLA and UNLV.
“We’re really, really sorry that Dwayne is unable to play, he’s great kid and we’re sorry to hear about the illness in his family and we are supportive of his decision to return home,” U18 national team head coach Billy Donovan said in the release.
“So we’re bringing back Chase Jeter. It was really close with Chase, he played well enough during our training camp to make the team. I’m excited he’s willing to come back on such short notice. He’s a great kid and he really made a big impression on all of us.”
Jeter’s return to the squad means that Bishop Gorman now has two players on the roster, with fellow 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman being the other.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 0
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)