Jun 18, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
After making 26 starts in 34 games at Oklahoma State last season, 6-foot-5 guard/forward Brian Williams made the decision in early April to leave the program. Having graduated from the Big 12 school, Williams would be eligible to play at the Division I school of his choice. Wednesday it was made official by the Louisiana program that Williams will be a Ragin’ Cajun, joining a team that reached the NCAA tournament last season.
Williams posted averages of 6.2 points and 3.4 rebounds per game as a junior, shooting 48.8% from the field, 25.0% from three and 72.7% from the foul line. However he played more than 20 minutes in just two of Oklahoma State’s final eight games, including a 13-minute outing in their season-ending loss to Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament.
But his arrival at Louisiana helps from a depth standpoint, with the Ragin’ Cajuns having lost its three leaders, including junior guard Elfrid Payton.
“We’re excited to have Brian enrolled in school and become a member of the Ragin’ Cajuns,” Louisiana head coach Bob Marlin said in the release. “He gives us an athletic wing player with size and has played at a high level for the past three years.
“With the loss of our team captains from last year, Brian will have the chance to step in right away and be a leader of this team.”
In addition to Payton, Louisiana lost seniors Bryant Mbamalu and Eldridge Moore. The leading returnees in 2014-15 will be forward Shawn Long (18.6 ppg, 10.4 rpg) and guard Xavian Rimmer (8.8, 2.3).
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)