Jun 19, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Charlotte offered an update on the health of their head coach Alan Major on Thursday afternoon.
Major underwent surgery on one of his eyes earlier this month. He will be having a procedure done on his heart in July and surgery on his other eye earlier in August.
“He is in good spirits and is progressing well following his first procedure,” the release said.
Back in May, Charlotte announced that Major would be taking an indefinite leave of absence to address his health.
“After discussing my health with my family and our Athletic Director Judy Rose,” Major said at the time. “I have decided to take a medical leave of absence. My family has a history of heart and eye issues, and I plan to have procedures done over the next couple of months to address them.
“I want to thank Judy and her staff, my coaching staff and our players for their support and love during this process. I’m looking forward to getting back to the game. I am very blessed to be at such an incredible University.”
Charlotte finished the 2013-14 season with a 17-14 overall record, going 7-9 in Conference USA play. The 49ers were playing their first season in Conference USA since 2004-05, moving back to the conference after spending eight years in the Atlantic 10.
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)