Jun 19, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Charlotte offered an update on the health of their head coach Alan Major on Thursday afternoon.
Major underwent surgery on one of his eyes earlier this month. He will be having a procedure done on his heart in July and surgery on his other eye earlier in August.
“He is in good spirits and is progressing well following his first procedure,” the release said.
Back in May, Charlotte announced that Major would be taking an indefinite leave of absence to address his health.
“After discussing my health with my family and our Athletic Director Judy Rose,” Major said at the time. “I have decided to take a medical leave of absence. My family has a history of heart and eye issues, and I plan to have procedures done over the next couple of months to address them.
“I want to thank Judy and her staff, my coaching staff and our players for their support and love during this process. I’m looking forward to getting back to the game. I am very blessed to be at such an incredible University.”
Charlotte finished the 2013-14 season with a 17-14 overall record, going 7-9 in Conference USA play. The 49ers were playing their first season in Conference USA since 2004-05, moving back to the conference after spending eight years in the Atlantic 10.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)
- Wichita State lands transfer guard from Texas A&M (2)