Jun 19, 2014, 11:50 AM EST
Hampton picked up a graduate transfer on Thursday as former Tennessee wing Quinton Chievous committed to the Pirates, a source told NBCSports.com.
The 6-foot-6 Chievous is the son of former Missouri star Derrick Chievous and Quinton will have two years of eligibility remaining and can play right away after graduating from Tennessee in three years.
After redshirting his first season in Knoxville, Chievous never made much of a dent in the SEC as the wing played 22 games as a freshman and nine games as a sophomore, averaging 10.6 minutes a game his first season and seeing only 32 minutes in 2013-14.
Chievous averaged 2.5 points and 2.4 rebounds per game during the 2012-13 season.
Hampton has done a nice job adding some pieces via transfer as they also picked up guard Reggie Johnson from Miami of Ohio during January. Johnson should be available at the semester break and the Pirates also return four starters from an 18-13 campaign. It’s interesting to note that Hampton has made some inroads in the Midwest as both Johnson and Chievous hail from the Chicagoland area.
Hampton was second in the MEAC at 13-3 behind North Carolina Central last season and should compete for the league title with the four returning starters and two key transfers.
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 3
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)