Jun 19, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Hampton picked up a graduate transfer on Thursday as former Tennessee wing Quinton Chievous committed to the Pirates, a source told NBCSports.com.
The 6-foot-6 Chievous is the son of former Missouri star Derrick Chievous and Quinton will have two years of eligibility remaining and can play right away after graduating from Tennessee in three years.
After redshirting his first season in Knoxville, Chievous never made much of a dent in the SEC as the wing played 22 games as a freshman and nine games as a sophomore, averaging 10.6 minutes a game his first season and seeing only 32 minutes in 2013-14.
Chievous averaged 2.5 points and 2.4 rebounds per game during the 2012-13 season.
Hampton has done a nice job adding some pieces via transfer as they also picked up guard Reggie Johnson from Miami of Ohio during January. Johnson should be available at the semester break and the Pirates also return four starters from an 18-13 campaign. It’s interesting to note that Hampton has made some inroads in the Midwest as both Johnson and Chievous hail from the Chicagoland area.
Hampton was second in the MEAC at 13-3 behind North Carolina Central last season and should compete for the league title with the four returning starters and two key transfers.
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)