Jun 19, 2014, 11:50 AM EST
Hampton picked up a graduate transfer on Thursday as former Tennessee wing Quinton Chievous committed to the Pirates, a source told NBCSports.com.
The 6-foot-6 Chievous is the son of former Missouri star Derrick Chievous and Quinton will have two years of eligibility remaining and can play right away after graduating from Tennessee in three years.
After redshirting his first season in Knoxville, Chievous never made much of a dent in the SEC as the wing played 22 games as a freshman and nine games as a sophomore, averaging 10.6 minutes a game his first season and seeing only 32 minutes in 2013-14.
Chievous averaged 2.5 points and 2.4 rebounds per game during the 2012-13 season.
Hampton has done a nice job adding some pieces via transfer as they also picked up guard Reggie Johnson from Miami of Ohio during January. Johnson should be available at the semester break and the Pirates also return four starters from an 18-13 campaign. It’s interesting to note that Hampton has made some inroads in the Midwest as both Johnson and Chievous hail from the Chicagoland area.
Hampton was second in the MEAC at 13-3 behind North Carolina Central last season and should compete for the league title with the four returning starters and two key transfers.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)