Jun 20, 2014, 2:04 PM EST
After going through a 13-19 season in 2013-14, the Detroit Titans will have to account for the loss of second-leading scorer and leading rebounder Evan Bruinsma (12.5 ppg, 7.7 rpg).
Leading scorer Juwan Howard Jr. (18.2, 5.5) will be back for his senior season, and the fact that the Titans are able to take an offseason trip this summer will help head coach Ray McCallum Sr. in in his quest to find other scoring options. Friday the program announced its plans for a trip to Vancouver in mid-August, with the team playing four games over the course of five days.
Detroit’s first opponent on the trip (to be played August 14) has yet to be named, but that contest will be followed by games against the University of British Columbia (August 15), the University of Fraser Valley (August 17) and Trinity Western University (August 18).
“This is a great opportunity for us to bring our team together in the summer to get in 10 practices to help build our identity,” McCallum said in the release. “I’ve been on a lot of these trips and after each one our team has really grown together and gotten better, it’s a great experience.”
The team, which leaves for Vancouver on August 13, will return to campus on August 21 after spending two games in Whistler, B.C. Detroit adds four newcomers to the program, including junior college transfer Sky McClelland. Arizona State transfer Brandan Kearney will have to sit out the 2014-15 campaign per NCAA transfer rules.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)