Jun 20, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
In early May guard Dominic Artis was one of three players dismissed from the Oregon basketball program after being accused of sexually assaulting a female student. No charges were filed due to the Lane County district attorney concluding that after reviewing the case there wasn’t enough evidence to prove the charges “beyond a reasonable doubt.”
The police report made available revealed some disturbing details of the events that led to the criminal investigation, which ultimately led to the school’s decision to dismiss Artis and teammates Brandon Austin and Damyean Dotson from the program. Artis has begun the process of looking for a new school, and on Friday he visited St. John’s according to multiple outlets.
In a story written by Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com, Artis’ grassroots coach Mark Olivier of the Oakland Soldiers noted that Artis liked St. John’s. But, any discussions of Artis possibly committing in the very near future are premature, as the school administration would need to do its due diligence before signing off on the possibility should the guard pick St. John’s.
The question is what the response from the fan base and other members of the campus community, be it St. John’s or any other school whose basketball program would consider to add one of these three players, will be.
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 31
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 7
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 10
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (43)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)