Jun 20, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Last month it was reported by multiple outlets that guard Malik Newman and center Diamond Stone, two of the top players in the Class of 2015, had hopes of being a “package deal” and banding together to make a run at a national title as freshmen. But recruiting is a fluid situation, with one of the determining factors being which schools are recruiting both players.
So while both certainly have hopes of playing together at the college level there’s no guarantee that it will happen. And in a conversation with Jeff Erman of InsideMDSports.com, Stone’s father stated that what’s most important is to make sure Diamond winds up in the best possible situation.
Bob Stone told InsideMDSports.com that the two will team in college if their respective recruitments work out that way, but a package deal isn’t — no pun intended — set in Stone.
“Our objective is to put Diamond in the best position to meet his goals and be successful and I’m sure the Newmans feel the same,” the elder Stone said.
College basketball has certainly seen a number of “package deals” discussed in recruiting in recent years, but how often do those plans come to fruition? Duke certainly benefitted with Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor making their pledges to join Mike Krzyzewski’s program, but the most important thing for the players involved is to make sure they wind up in the best possible situation.
If that means two talented players with hopes of wearing the same uniform do so, then so be it. And if that leads to a change of plans, that’s fine as well.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)