Jun 20, 2014, 1:05 PM EST
Last month it was reported by multiple outlets that guard Malik Newman and center Diamond Stone, two of the top players in the Class of 2015, had hopes of being a “package deal” and banding together to make a run at a national title as freshmen. But recruiting is a fluid situation, with one of the determining factors being which schools are recruiting both players.
So while both certainly have hopes of playing together at the college level there’s no guarantee that it will happen. And in a conversation with Jeff Erman of InsideMDSports.com, Stone’s father stated that what’s most important is to make sure Diamond winds up in the best possible situation.
Bob Stone told InsideMDSports.com that the two will team in college if their respective recruitments work out that way, but a package deal isn’t — no pun intended — set in Stone.
“Our objective is to put Diamond in the best position to meet his goals and be successful and I’m sure the Newmans feel the same,” the elder Stone said.
College basketball has certainly seen a number of “package deals” discussed in recruiting in recent years, but how often do those plans come to fruition? Duke certainly benefitted with Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor making their pledges to join Mike Krzyzewski’s program, but the most important thing for the players involved is to make sure they wind up in the best possible situation.
If that means two talented players with hopes of wearing the same uniform do so, then so be it. And if that leads to a change of plans, that’s fine as well.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)