Jun 20, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Tim Williams has become one of the hottest names on the 2014 transfer market and the 6-foot-8 forward from Samford is close to making a decision.
According to a report from Rob Howe at Hawkeye Insider, Williams has narrowed his list to three schools — all from the 2014 NCAA Tournament — and a decision could come as soon as this weekend.
Williams has taken official visits to Dayton, Iowa and New Mexico and the forward’s mother, Lisa, spoke with Howe on the decision-making process for the family going forward.
“We’re hoping to have a decision by Sunday night,” Lisa Williams said to Howe. “It’s kind of been a whirlwind visiting these three schools in a short time so we’ll go home, relax and discuss the decision as a family. Ultimately it will be Timothy’s decision but we’ll talk about all of the schools and review what we’ve seen and heard.”
After garnering first-team Southern Conference honors last season, Williams opted to transfer. Lisa Williams broke down her son’s reasons for transferring after Tim averaged 17.6 points and 7.3 rebounds per game last season. Williams also shot 60 percent from the field and 75 percent from the free-throw line.
“He wants to get the full college experience and that’s hard to do at a smaller school like Samford. He also wants to test himself against a higher competition level. He has three really nice, diverse choices,” Lisa Williams said to Howe.
A native of the Chicagoland area, Williams is looking at two schools that are within driving distance from home in Dayton and Iowa but Lisa said that distance wouldn’t play that big of a factor in the decision.
“It will be a factor but not the deciding factor. There are a lot of factors that go into a decision like this,” she said to Howe.
After two very productive seasons in the Southern Conference, Williams will have a year to sit out due to NCAA transfer regulations while acclimating to a higher level of play. While Williams put up big numbers in two seasons at Samford, his efficiency is also very impressive when you factor that the forward was the Bulldogs’ No. 1 option on offense.
(H/T: Hawkeye Insider)
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 4
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)