Jun 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Stony Brook took a hit to its 2014-15 America East title hopes on Friday as the school announced in a release that freshman guard Ahmad Walker is leaving the program.
The 6-foot-4 Walker appeared in 34 games for the Seawolves last season and averaged seven points, 5.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game in a little over 24 minutes a game. Walker shot 42 percent from the field, 60 percent from the charity stripe and struggled to find his perimeter shot last season as he went 2-for-22 from beyond the arc.
“Ahmad and I determined that it is both in his best interest and in the best interest of the program that we part ways,” Stony Brook head coach Steve Pikiell said in the release. “I wish Ahmad all the best in his future endeavors.”
Stony Brook finished second in the America East last season with a 23-11 overall record and 13-3 conference mark. The Seawolves lost to Albany at home in the America East Conference Tournament championship game and made an appearance in the CBI last season and fell to Siena in the opening round.
Stony Brook still returns America East Player of the Year Jameel Warney and All-America East guard Carson Puriefoy but the loss of a rotation player like Walker will surely sting as the Seawolves try to make next season’s NCAA Tournament.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)
- Jerian Grant turns back fans trying to storm the floor after Duke win (GIF) (4)