Jun 21, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Currently the NCAA finds itself in the middle of multiple lawsuits, with the litigation being led by former UCLA guard Ed O’Bannon receiving the most attention. However there’s also a lawsuit that includes 65 players who are arguing that the NCAA failed to protect them from the long-term impacts of concussions suffered during their college playing careers.
Friday it was reported by the Dallas Morning News that former Tulsa forward J.R. Cunningham has sued the NCAA as well due to the issues he’s dealt with after suffering concussions during his college career. Cunningham, who began his career at Arizona State, played in just six games as a senior due to injury.
In the lawsuit he is arguing that the NCAA has done nothing to make sure coaches don’t reinsert possibly concussed players into games too quickly.
“As a direct result of the concussive head injuries he suffered while playing NCAA basketball, Mr. Cunningham suffers from constant headaches, memory loss, dizziness, severe depression, speech impediments, panic disorder, anxiety, mobility issues, irritability, chronic traumatic encephalopathy and panic disorder,” says the suit. “Mr. Cunningham did not suffer from these conditions prior to incurring the concussions while playing NCAA basketball. In addition to his severe medical conditions which require constant treatment and monitoring, Mr. Cunningham is at an increased risk of developing latent brain injuries or additional neurodegenerative disorders.”
Cunningham filed his suit in a federal court in Dallas and according to the Morning News is seeking nearly $75,000 in damages.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)