Jun 21, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Currently the NCAA finds itself in the middle of multiple lawsuits, with the litigation being led by former UCLA guard Ed O’Bannon receiving the most attention. However there’s also a lawsuit that includes 65 players who are arguing that the NCAA failed to protect them from the long-term impacts of concussions suffered during their college playing careers.
Friday it was reported by the Dallas Morning News that former Tulsa forward J.R. Cunningham has sued the NCAA as well due to the issues he’s dealt with after suffering concussions during his college career. Cunningham, who began his career at Arizona State, played in just six games as a senior due to injury.
In the lawsuit he is arguing that the NCAA has done nothing to make sure coaches don’t reinsert possibly concussed players into games too quickly.
“As a direct result of the concussive head injuries he suffered while playing NCAA basketball, Mr. Cunningham suffers from constant headaches, memory loss, dizziness, severe depression, speech impediments, panic disorder, anxiety, mobility issues, irritability, chronic traumatic encephalopathy and panic disorder,” says the suit. “Mr. Cunningham did not suffer from these conditions prior to incurring the concussions while playing NCAA basketball. In addition to his severe medical conditions which require constant treatment and monitoring, Mr. Cunningham is at an increased risk of developing latent brain injuries or additional neurodegenerative disorders.”
Cunningham filed his suit in a federal court in Dallas and according to the Morning News is seeking nearly $75,000 in damages.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)