Jun 21, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Not only did Friday mark the end of two days of testimony for NCAA president Mark Emmert in the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit in Oakland, Calif., but the day also featured a promotion put together in honor of the much-maligned leader of collegiate athletics.
The Lake County Captains, a Class A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians, announced plans for “Mark Emmert Fan Appreciation Night” which will be held on July 2. Among the benefits fans will be able to receive are the opportunity to receive tickets to a future Captains game provided they remain present through the first three innings.
Also of note is that four lucky college students will win an “all you can eat” wristband and tickets to a future game, with the giveaway meant to honor the recent change in rules that allows schools to provide athletes with unlimited meals and snacks. And if a fan wants to change their seat during the July 2 game they’ll be allowed to do so, provided they wait for an inning before making the switch.
There are other prizes fans can win during “Mark Emmert Fan Appreciation Night,” and the franchise has also invited Emmert to attend the game. Minor league baseball is always good for quirky promotions (see: Bill Veeck Sr.), and this one is outstanding.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)