Jun 21, 2014, 5:36 PM EST
Not only did Friday mark the end of two days of testimony for NCAA president Mark Emmert in the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit in Oakland, Calif., but the day also featured a promotion put together in honor of the much-maligned leader of collegiate athletics.
The Lake County Captains, a Class A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians, announced plans for “Mark Emmert Fan Appreciation Night” which will be held on July 2. Among the benefits fans will be able to receive are the opportunity to receive tickets to a future Captains game provided they remain present through the first three innings.
Also of note is that four lucky college students will win an “all you can eat” wristband and tickets to a future game, with the giveaway meant to honor the recent change in rules that allows schools to provide athletes with unlimited meals and snacks. And if a fan wants to change their seat during the July 2 game they’ll be allowed to do so, provided they wait for an inning before making the switch.
There are other prizes fans can win during “Mark Emmert Fan Appreciation Night,” and the franchise has also invited Emmert to attend the game. Minor league baseball is always good for quirky promotions (see: Bill Veeck Sr.), and this one is outstanding.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)