Jun 21, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Not only did Friday mark the end of two days of testimony for NCAA president Mark Emmert in the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit in Oakland, Calif., but the day also featured a promotion put together in honor of the much-maligned leader of collegiate athletics.
The Lake County Captains, a Class A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians, announced plans for “Mark Emmert Fan Appreciation Night” which will be held on July 2. Among the benefits fans will be able to receive are the opportunity to receive tickets to a future Captains game provided they remain present through the first three innings.
Also of note is that four lucky college students will win an “all you can eat” wristband and tickets to a future game, with the giveaway meant to honor the recent change in rules that allows schools to provide athletes with unlimited meals and snacks. And if a fan wants to change their seat during the July 2 game they’ll be allowed to do so, provided they wait for an inning before making the switch.
There are other prizes fans can win during “Mark Emmert Fan Appreciation Night,” and the franchise has also invited Emmert to attend the game. Minor league baseball is always good for quirky promotions (see: Bill Veeck Sr.), and this one is outstanding.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)