Jun 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Facing a postseason ban in both football and men’s basketball due to low APR scores, Florida A&M will take a second look over each sport’s score in an attempt to reverse the NCAA’s postseason ban, according to a report from St. Clair Murraine of the Tallahassee Democrat.
New Rattlers head coach Byron Samuels has already lost players to transfer because of the APR ruling and the coach is also facing an uphill battle bringing in new recruits thanks to the postseason ban.
Florida A&M athletic director Kellen Winslow has already helped the school launch an appeal before the postseason sanctions were announced in April.
“We are going to look at every detail, turn every rock and try to find every point we possibly can,” Winslow said to the Tallahassee Democrat. “Will the adjustments be enough to move the needle? We don’t know, but we have to look at it.”
So why the second attempt from the school? The Rattlers had a similar APR situation last season with their volleyball program and the NCAA eventually reversed a verdict in the school’s favor.
Now, the football and men’s basketball program will wait it out and see if either program can re-gain postseason eligibility.
The men’s basketball program is already facing a tough task next season as the team graduated six seniors, including leading scorers Jamie Adams (17.2 ppg) and Reggie Lewis (12.7 ppg).
Without the ability to play in the postseason, Florida A&M has zero recruiting leverage on its MEAC counterparts, since so many prospective student-athletes want to play in postseason tournaments. This is something to keep an eye on this summer.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 34
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 6
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (34)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)