Jun 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Facing a postseason ban in both football and men’s basketball due to low APR scores, Florida A&M will take a second look over each sport’s score in an attempt to reverse the NCAA’s postseason ban, according to a report from St. Clair Murraine of the Tallahassee Democrat.
New Rattlers head coach Byron Samuels has already lost players to transfer because of the APR ruling and the coach is also facing an uphill battle bringing in new recruits thanks to the postseason ban.
Florida A&M athletic director Kellen Winslow has already helped the school launch an appeal before the postseason sanctions were announced in April.
“We are going to look at every detail, turn every rock and try to find every point we possibly can,” Winslow said to the Tallahassee Democrat. “Will the adjustments be enough to move the needle? We don’t know, but we have to look at it.”
So why the second attempt from the school? The Rattlers had a similar APR situation last season with their volleyball program and the NCAA eventually reversed a verdict in the school’s favor.
Now, the football and men’s basketball program will wait it out and see if either program can re-gain postseason eligibility.
The men’s basketball program is already facing a tough task next season as the team graduated six seniors, including leading scorers Jamie Adams (17.2 ppg) and Reggie Lewis (12.7 ppg).
Without the ability to play in the postseason, Florida A&M has zero recruiting leverage on its MEAC counterparts, since so many prospective student-athletes want to play in postseason tournaments. This is something to keep an eye on this summer.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)