Jun 22, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
June has been a good month for the Michigan State basketball program. Former Spartans Gary Harris and Adreian Payne will sit in the green room at Thursday night’s NBA Draft, as both prospects could be picked in the top 20. Earlier this month, Tom Izzo added to his Class of 2015.
Michigan State also landed two of the top transfers in the country this month in West Virginia’s Eron Harris and Cleveland State’s Bryn Forbes. The Spartans good fortune can continue this month as Forbes hopes to receive immediate eligibility.
While Harris sits out the 2014-2015 season due to NCAA transfer rules the school has applied for a hardship waiver for Forbes, and hopes to hear a decision back by the end of June.
“We put that in, we’ll probably know at the end of the month what’s going to happen,” Forbes said on The Drive with Jack on The Game 730 AM on Thursday.
If the NCAA does grant Forbes immediate eligibility, it will help combat the departure of Michigan State’s starting back court from a season ago. Forbes would be part of a perimeter that includes Travis Trice, Lourawls Nairn, a four-star point guard and Denzel Valentine, who was Forbes’ high school teammate at Sexton High in Lansing.
The 6-foot-3 Forbes averaged 15.6 points and 3.1 rebounds per game as a sophomore for Cleveland State. He transferred to Michigan State on June 13.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)