Jun 22, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
June has been a good month for the Michigan State basketball program. Former Spartans Gary Harris and Adreian Payne will sit in the green room at Thursday night’s NBA Draft, as both prospects could be picked in the top 20. Earlier this month, Tom Izzo added to his Class of 2015.
Michigan State also landed two of the top transfers in the country this month in West Virginia’s Eron Harris and Cleveland State’s Bryn Forbes. The Spartans good fortune can continue this month as Forbes hopes to receive immediate eligibility.
While Harris sits out the 2014-2015 season due to NCAA transfer rules the school has applied for a hardship waiver for Forbes, and hopes to hear a decision back by the end of June.
“We put that in, we’ll probably know at the end of the month what’s going to happen,” Forbes said on The Drive with Jack on The Game 730 AM on Thursday.
If the NCAA does grant Forbes immediate eligibility, it will help combat the departure of Michigan State’s starting back court from a season ago. Forbes would be part of a perimeter that includes Travis Trice, Lourawls Nairn, a four-star point guard and Denzel Valentine, who was Forbes’ high school teammate at Sexton High in Lansing.
The 6-foot-3 Forbes averaged 15.6 points and 3.1 rebounds per game as a sophomore for Cleveland State. He transferred to Michigan State on June 13.
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)