Jun 22, 2014, 9:47 AM EST
In February, LSU got an early start to its Class of 2016 with a commitment from University Laboratory School (Louisiana) point guard Skylar Mays. However, on Saturday night, Mays backed away from his initial pledge.
“I’ve chosen to reopen my recruitment. I still love the LSU basketball program and have interest in what the staff has going on over there.” Mays tweeted.
The 6-foot-3, Baton Rouge native committed to the Tigers on LSU, before leading his high school team to the Class 3A state championship later that season. He cited a desire to stay close to home as the reason for his early decision.
Earlier this week, Mays participated in the Nike Elite 100, a showcase for the top rising sophomores and juniors in the country. According to Eric Bossi, Rivals recruiting analyst, Mays had an impressive week in St. Louis.
“I just want to make sure I’m making the right choice,” Mays told Andrew Lopez of the Times-Picayune on Sunday afternoon.”When I make my decision, I want to make sure I have all the necessary information. I still love LSU a lot and will be going to their home football and basketball games. I’d rather second-guess now than later.”
Mays is listed as a four-star recruit, according to Rivals.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)