Jun 22, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
In February, LSU got an early start to its Class of 2016 with a commitment from University Laboratory School (Louisiana) point guard Skylar Mays. However, on Saturday night, Mays backed away from his initial pledge.
“I’ve chosen to reopen my recruitment. I still love the LSU basketball program and have interest in what the staff has going on over there.” Mays tweeted.
The 6-foot-3, Baton Rouge native committed to the Tigers on LSU, before leading his high school team to the Class 3A state championship later that season. He cited a desire to stay close to home as the reason for his early decision.
Earlier this week, Mays participated in the Nike Elite 100, a showcase for the top rising sophomores and juniors in the country. According to Eric Bossi, Rivals recruiting analyst, Mays had an impressive week in St. Louis.
“I just want to make sure I’m making the right choice,” Mays told Andrew Lopez of the Times-Picayune on Sunday afternoon.”When I make my decision, I want to make sure I have all the necessary information. I still love LSU a lot and will be going to their home football and basketball games. I’d rather second-guess now than later.”
Mays is listed as a four-star recruit, according to Rivals.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)