Jun 22, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
In February, LSU got an early start to its Class of 2016 with a commitment from University Laboratory School (Louisiana) point guard Skylar Mays. However, on Saturday night, Mays backed away from his initial pledge.
“I’ve chosen to reopen my recruitment. I still love the LSU basketball program and have interest in what the staff has going on over there.” Mays tweeted.
The 6-foot-3, Baton Rouge native committed to the Tigers on LSU, before leading his high school team to the Class 3A state championship later that season. He cited a desire to stay close to home as the reason for his early decision.
Earlier this week, Mays participated in the Nike Elite 100, a showcase for the top rising sophomores and juniors in the country. According to Eric Bossi, Rivals recruiting analyst, Mays had an impressive week in St. Louis.
“I just want to make sure I’m making the right choice,” Mays told Andrew Lopez of the Times-Picayune on Sunday afternoon.”When I make my decision, I want to make sure I have all the necessary information. I still love LSU a lot and will be going to their home football and basketball games. I’d rather second-guess now than later.”
Mays is listed as a four-star recruit, according to Rivals.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)