Jun 22, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
The USA Basketball U18 jumped out to an early lead en route to another lopsided win on Saturday night, taking down Mexico, 100-46, in Group B pool play at the FIBA Americas Championships in Colorado Springs.
Arizona-bound Stanley Johnson led all scorers with 18 points, adding seven boards. The future Wildcat was one of five players to score in double figures. Allonzo Trier and Duke signee Justise Winslow each added 14, followed by Jalen Brunson with 11 and Chase Jeter with 10.
On Friday night, USA Basketball dominated Uruguay with a 156-58 victory. USA Basketball finishes group play on Sunday evening against Argentina, which also enters the game with a 2-0 record.
“[Argentina] always have a good system,” USA Basketball head coach Billy Donovan said after Saturday’s win. “They’re going to move and pass the basketball; they’re going to run their offense, and they do a good job. I think for us, we have to get back to our style of play and get the game going up and down. We’ve got to try to get pressure and take them out, because when they get on their half-court, they do a nice job executing and screening.”
Sunday’s contest between USA and Argentina is set for 7:30 p.m. EDT.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)