Jun 22, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
The USA Basketball U18 jumped out to an early lead en route to another lopsided win on Saturday night, taking down Mexico, 100-46, in Group B pool play at the FIBA Americas Championships in Colorado Springs.
Arizona-bound Stanley Johnson led all scorers with 18 points, adding seven boards. The future Wildcat was one of five players to score in double figures. Allonzo Trier and Duke signee Justise Winslow each added 14, followed by Jalen Brunson with 11 and Chase Jeter with 10.
On Friday night, USA Basketball dominated Uruguay with a 156-58 victory. USA Basketball finishes group play on Sunday evening against Argentina, which also enters the game with a 2-0 record.
“[Argentina] always have a good system,” USA Basketball head coach Billy Donovan said after Saturday’s win. “They’re going to move and pass the basketball; they’re going to run their offense, and they do a good job. I think for us, we have to get back to our style of play and get the game going up and down. We’ve got to try to get pressure and take them out, because when they get on their half-court, they do a nice job executing and screening.”
Sunday’s contest between USA and Argentina is set for 7:30 p.m. EDT.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)