Jun 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
New Mexico head coach Craig Neal has landed an important addition to his program, as it was reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports that former Samford forward Tim Williams has decided to transfer to the Mountain West program.
Williams posted averages of 17.6 points and 7.3 rebounds per game as a sophomore, and he’s the second Division I transfer to commit to New Mexico this offseason with former Butler guard Elijah Brown being the first. Williams will have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, leaving him two years of eligibility beginning with the 2015-16 campaign.
As a result of his play last season Williams was a first team All-SoCon selection by the coaches, with the league’s media members placing him on their second team all-conference squad.
Williams’ best offensive performance of the season came in a win over Western Carolina on March 1, as he scored 32 points on 10-for-11 shooting from the field to go along with six rebounds and three assists. As a sophomore Williams shot 60.1% from the field, 33.3% from three and 75.0% from the foul line.
In total New Mexico will have seven newcomers when practices begins, with junior college transfers Jordan Goodman and J.J. N’Ganga expected to help out in the front court. Three freshmen round out the class, with wing Xavier Adams joining the perimeter rotation and forwards Joe Furstinger and Tohiraukura Smith-Milner having the opportunity to compete for playing time inside.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)