Jun 23, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Tennessee and new head coach Donnie Tyndall picked up some good news this week as rising sophomore shooting guard Robert Hubbs III was cleared to return to full-contact drills.
In a report with WBIR, Tyndall spoke about the return of Hubbs, who had season-ending shoulder surgery after appearing in only 12 games last season. Hubbs didn’t play last season after the Volunteers’ December 30th win over Virginia. Despite not playing in 2014, Hubbs appeared in too many games to garner a medical redshirt from the NCAA, as he played in more than 30 percent of Tennessee’s games last season.
“There was no soreness, there were no bumps along the way. Knock on wood he’s been good,” Tyndall said to WBIR.
The new coach went on to say that Hubbs has been through one full-contact work out already. The Volunteers were originally hoping to get Hubbs cleared by June 1st, but gave him some extra time as a precautionary measure.
Hubbs was a five-star prospect coming out of high school in Newborn, Tennessee but struggled to find his shot his freshman season as he averaged 5 points and 1.5 rebounds and 18.3 minutes per game. The 6-foot-6 guard only shot 30 percent from the field and 28 percent from the three-point line.
Although Hubbs struggled as a freshman, his return to Tennessee was huge for Tyndall with the first-year Volunteers’ coach losing so many players to transfer while also having to recruit an all-new spring recruiting class.
Tyndall is hoping that a healthy Hubbs finds his shot in his sophomore season as the shooting guard could be counted on for big minutes as one of the few holdovers from the Cuonzo Martin era.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)