Jun 25, 2014, 1:41 PM EST
Fran Dunphy will be making a change on his coaching staff, according to a report from Philly.com.
The Temple head coach will bring Rick Brunson aboard as an assistant, the report says. Brunson is a former player for the Owls from the John Chaney era. He spent almost a decade as a player in the NBA and has been an assistant in the NBA for a couple of different teams, most recently the Charlotte Bobcats, as well as a staffer at Virginia and as assistant with Hartford.
So Brunson has the résumé to deserve a spot on a collegiate coaching staff.
But that’s not what would make this hire interesting if it comes to fruition. (For what it’s worth, this hire has been rumored to be in the works for a while.) Rick’s son is Jalen Brunson, arguably the best point guard in the Class of 2015 and a top-15 recruit nationally. Dunphy already has three assistants on his staff, meaning that he will have to re-assign a current assistant coach to bring Brunson aboard. It would stand to reason that if he’s going to go through the process of making this hire, he’s going to bring aboard a coach that can, at the least, recruit his own son.
The NCAA passed a rule a few years back that eliminated these sorts of package deals by disallowing a family member — or a coach — from being hired at the same school as the prospect that he is associated with. The caveat is that the package deal is allowed as long as the coach or the family member is brought on as one of the three official assistant coaches.
According to the report, Rick will be hired as an assistant.
Does that mean that Jalen will be committing to the Owls? Brunson listed Temple in his final list of eight schools earlier this spring.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)
- Jerian Grant turns back fans trying to storm the floor after Duke win (GIF) (4)