Jun 26, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
After leading San Diego to the quarterfinals of the CollegeInsider.com Tournament last season, head coach Bill Grier has been rewarded with a contract extension. The school made the official announcement earlier this week.
“We have made progress getting back to a winning record, and reaching postseason play. There is still much work to be done,” San Diego executive director of athletics Ky Snyder said in the release. “I have great confidence in coach Grier and his staff to continue elevating this program. ”
In seven seasons as the head coach at San Diego, Grier has put together a record of 102-128 and has led the Toreros to their only three postseason wins in program history. Prior to winning two games in last season’s CIT, Grier also led San Diego to a win over UConn in the 2008 NCAA tournament.
San Diego finished the 2013-14 season with an 18-17 record, going 7-11 in WCC play. The Toreros, who will take a summer trip to Rome in August, return three of their top four scorers from a season ago. Guards Johnny Dee (16.6 ppg), Duda Sanadze (12.9, 3.7 rpg) and Christopher Anderson (10.3, 3.7, 6.2 apg) all return, but San Diego will have to account for the graduation of leading rebounder Dennis Kramer (11.5, 6.6).
Two key players in that regard will be forwards Jito Kok and Semi Fajemisin, with the former averaging 4.5 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game in 2013-14.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)