Jun 26, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
After leading San Diego to the quarterfinals of the CollegeInsider.com Tournament last season, head coach Bill Grier has been rewarded with a contract extension. The school made the official announcement earlier this week.
“We have made progress getting back to a winning record, and reaching postseason play. There is still much work to be done,” San Diego executive director of athletics Ky Snyder said in the release. “I have great confidence in coach Grier and his staff to continue elevating this program. “
In seven seasons as the head coach at San Diego, Grier has put together a record of 102-128 and has led the Toreros to their only three postseason wins in program history. Prior to winning two games in last season’s CIT, Grier also led San Diego to a win over UConn in the 2008 NCAA tournament.
San Diego finished the 2013-14 season with an 18-17 record, going 7-11 in WCC play. The Toreros, who will take a summer trip to Rome in August, return three of their top four scorers from a season ago. Guards Johnny Dee (16.6 ppg), Duda Sanadze (12.9, 3.7 rpg) and Christopher Anderson (10.3, 3.7, 6.2 apg) all return, but San Diego will have to account for the graduation of leading rebounder Dennis Kramer (11.5, 6.6).
Two key players in that regard will be forwards Jito Kok and Semi Fajemisin, with the former averaging 4.5 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game in 2013-14.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)