Jun 26, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
After leading San Diego to the quarterfinals of the CollegeInsider.com Tournament last season, head coach Bill Grier has been rewarded with a contract extension. The school made the official announcement earlier this week.
“We have made progress getting back to a winning record, and reaching postseason play. There is still much work to be done,” San Diego executive director of athletics Ky Snyder said in the release. “I have great confidence in coach Grier and his staff to continue elevating this program. ”
In seven seasons as the head coach at San Diego, Grier has put together a record of 102-128 and has led the Toreros to their only three postseason wins in program history. Prior to winning two games in last season’s CIT, Grier also led San Diego to a win over UConn in the 2008 NCAA tournament.
San Diego finished the 2013-14 season with an 18-17 record, going 7-11 in WCC play. The Toreros, who will take a summer trip to Rome in August, return three of their top four scorers from a season ago. Guards Johnny Dee (16.6 ppg), Duda Sanadze (12.9, 3.7 rpg) and Christopher Anderson (10.3, 3.7, 6.2 apg) all return, but San Diego will have to account for the graduation of leading rebounder Dennis Kramer (11.5, 6.6).
Two key players in that regard will be forwards Jito Kok and Semi Fajemisin, with the former averaging 4.5 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game in 2013-14.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)