Jun 27, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
After struggling for much of the 2013-14 season Cal Poly got hot at just the right time, winning three games in as many days to earn the Big West’s automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. One of the issues for Joe Callero’s Mustangs: shooting, as they ranked last in the conference in field goal percentage (40.8%) and sixth (33.3%) in three-point percentage.
Improving their shooting is one way in which Cal Poly can make sure it’s a factor in 2014-15, and on Friday the school made official the addition of shooting guard Trevor John. John averaged 15.0 points and 8.0 rebounds per game at Monte Vista HS in Danville, Calif. last season, and Callero praised his ability to shoot the basketball in the release.
“We’re fortunate to have such a quality addition to our program,” said Callero of John, who joins a program coming off its first Big West Conference Tournament title and an NCAA Tournament second round appearance. “Trevor has the shooting ability of (former All-Big West selection) Dylan Royer and a great work ethic. He comes from a basketball family and understands the game and the commitment level needed to be successful.”
As for the comparison to Royer, he finished his career in 2013 shooting 44.4% from three, transforming from a player who attempted just seven three-pointers as a freshman to one of the Big West’s best shooters as a senior. If John, whose father Jay has plenty of coaching experience at the Division I level (he was head coach at Oregon State from 2002-08, and assistant coaching stops include Arizona and California), can travel a path similar to that of Royer that would bode well for the Mustangs.
John is one of three additions for Cal Poly, with junior college transfer Kyle Toth and incoming freshman Aleks Abrams being the others. The Mustangs will have to account for the loss of two of their top three scorers from last season (Chris Eversley and Kyle Odister), with forward David Nwaba (11.7 ppg, 4.8 rpg) being their most productive returnee.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)