Jun 27, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
UCLA picked up a valuable graduate transfer on Friday afternoon as Colorado State rising senior guard Jon Octeus committed to the Bruins and head coach Steve Alford. The news of Octeus’ commitment was first reported by CBSSports.com’s Jon Rothstein.
The 6-foot-4 Octeus started all 32 games for Colorado State last season, posting averages of 13.4 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game and the guard is on track to graduate this summer. Octeus shot 40 percent from the field, 35 percent from three-point range and 75 percent from the free-throw line in 2013-14.
Octeus joining UCLA should help offset the loss of guards Jordan Adams and Zach LaVine. LaVine was selected 13th overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves in the first round of the 2014 NBA Draft on Thursday night while Adams went 22nd overall to the Memphis Grizzlies.
The Bruins won the services of Octeus over his other two finalists of Cincinnati and Missouri.
With Bryce Alford and Norman Powell returning and former McDonald’s All-American Isaac Hamilton starting his college basketball career next season, UCLA has some talent and depth in the back court with the new addition of Octeus.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)