Jun 27, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
UCLA picked up a valuable graduate transfer on Friday afternoon as Colorado State rising senior guard Jon Octeus committed to the Bruins and head coach Steve Alford. The news of Octeus’ commitment was first reported by CBSSports.com’s Jon Rothstein.
The 6-foot-4 Octeus started all 32 games for Colorado State last season, posting averages of 13.4 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game and the guard is on track to graduate this summer. Octeus shot 40 percent from the field, 35 percent from three-point range and 75 percent from the free-throw line in 2013-14.
Octeus joining UCLA should help offset the loss of guards Jordan Adams and Zach LaVine. LaVine was selected 13th overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves in the first round of the 2014 NBA Draft on Thursday night while Adams went 22nd overall to the Memphis Grizzlies.
The Bruins won the services of Octeus over his other two finalists of Cincinnati and Missouri.
With Bryce Alford and Norman Powell returning and former McDonald’s All-American Isaac Hamilton starting his college basketball career next season, UCLA has some talent and depth in the back court with the new addition of Octeus.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)