Jun 27, 2014, 7:24 PM EST
UCLA picked up a valuable graduate transfer on Friday afternoon as Colorado State rising senior guard Jon Octeus committed to the Bruins and head coach Steve Alford. The news of Octeus’ commitment was first reported by CBSSports.com’s Jon Rothstein.
The 6-foot-4 Octeus started all 32 games for Colorado State last season, posting averages of 13.4 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game and the guard is on track to graduate this summer. Octeus shot 40 percent from the field, 35 percent from three-point range and 75 percent from the free-throw line in 2013-14.
Octeus joining UCLA should help offset the loss of guards Jordan Adams and Zach LaVine. LaVine was selected 13th overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves in the first round of the 2014 NBA Draft on Thursday night while Adams went 22nd overall to the Memphis Grizzlies.
The Bruins won the services of Octeus over his other two finalists of Cincinnati and Missouri.
With Bryce Alford and Norman Powell returning and former McDonald’s All-American Isaac Hamilton starting his college basketball career next season, UCLA has some talent and depth in the back court with the new addition of Octeus.
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)