Jun 27, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
After posting averages of 2.8 points and 2.9 rebounds per game as a freshman, forward Jermaine Lawrence made the decision to leave the Cincinnati program in search of a program closer to his hometown of Springfield Gardens, N.Y. Lawrence ultimately chose Manhattan, and the general expectation was that he would have three seasons of eligibility after sitting out the 2014-15 campaign per NCAA transfer rules.
However that may not be the case, as Ryan Restivo of Big Apple Buckets reported Friday that the school is in the process of filing an immediate eligibility waiver request on Lawrence’s behalf.
“Absolutely,” Manhattan head coach Steve Masiello said when asked if they are planning on applying for a waiver for Lawrence. “That’s why he came home.”
Masiello said that the school is in the process of preparing a waiver for the Lawrence, who transferred from Cincinnati to be closer to home to his father who is sick.
Manhattan lost its top three scorers from last season’s NCAA tournament team, as guards George Beamon and Mike Alvarado and forward Rhamel Brown have all graduated. However with players such as Emmy Andujar, Shane Richards and Ashton Pankey returning, the Jaspers won’t lack for talent either.
Lawerence is one of five newcomers joining the program, with guard Samson Usilo considered by some to be the most talented of the four freshmen.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)