Jun 27, 2014, 1:10 PM EST
After posting averages of 2.8 points and 2.9 rebounds per game as a freshman, forward Jermaine Lawrence made the decision to leave the Cincinnati program in search of a program closer to his hometown of Springfield Gardens, N.Y. Lawrence ultimately chose Manhattan, and the general expectation was that he would have three seasons of eligibility after sitting out the 2014-15 campaign per NCAA transfer rules.
However that may not be the case, as Ryan Restivo of Big Apple Buckets reported Friday that the school is in the process of filing an immediate eligibility waiver request on Lawrence’s behalf.
“Absolutely,” Manhattan head coach Steve Masiello said when asked if they are planning on applying for a waiver for Lawrence. “That’s why he came home.”
Masiello said that the school is in the process of preparing a waiver for the Lawrence, who transferred from Cincinnati to be closer to home to his father who is sick.
Manhattan lost its top three scorers from last season’s NCAA tournament team, as guards George Beamon and Mike Alvarado and forward Rhamel Brown have all graduated. However with players such as Emmy Andujar, Shane Richards and Ashton Pankey returning, the Jaspers won’t lack for talent either.
Lawerence is one of five newcomers joining the program, with guard Samson Usilo considered by some to be the most talented of the four freshmen.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)