Jun 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
The Bahamas is a wonderful vacation destination, but this August, it also becomes a hotbed of college basketball exhibition action.
According to an article from The Bahamas Weekly the Bahamas Basketball Federation is touting this as the “Summer of Thunder” as the island makes an aggressive effort to bring Division I basketball programs there in order to attract fans for tourism purposes while featuring high-level basketball for local coaches and players.
From August 2nd through the 25th, exhibition games and practices involving 13 different Division I teams will be going on nearly every day. The NCAA allows college basketball programs to take an international exhibition tour once every four years for some extra games and 10 days of additional practice time as well as an educational experience traveling abroad for the student-athletes.
Other programs making the trip in August include Alabama State, Chattanooga, Louisiana Tech, Morehead State, Northern Arizona, Ole Miss, Portland State and Division III Whitman College.
All games will take place at the Sir Kendal Isaacs Gymnasium in the capital of Nassau.
If you happen to be in the Bahamas for vacation this summer — and really need a college hoops fix and don’t feel like spending time on the beach — there’s plenty of action to check out.
You can view the full day-to-day schedule in the Bahamas here.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)