Jun 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
The Bahamas is a wonderful vacation destination, but this August, it also becomes a hotbed of college basketball exhibition action.
According to an article from The Bahamas Weekly the Bahamas Basketball Federation is touting this as the “Summer of Thunder” as the island makes an aggressive effort to bring Division I basketball programs there in order to attract fans for tourism purposes while featuring high-level basketball for local coaches and players.
From August 2nd through the 25th, exhibition games and practices involving 13 different Division I teams will be going on nearly every day. The NCAA allows college basketball programs to take an international exhibition tour once every four years for some extra games and 10 days of additional practice time as well as an educational experience traveling abroad for the student-athletes.
Other programs making the trip in August include Alabama State, Chattanooga, Louisiana Tech, Morehead State, Northern Arizona, Ole Miss, Portland State and Division III Whitman College.
All games will take place at the Sir Kendal Isaacs Gymnasium in the capital of Nassau.
If you happen to be in the Bahamas for vacation this summer — and really need a college hoops fix and don’t feel like spending time on the beach — there’s plenty of action to check out.
You can view the full day-to-day schedule in the Bahamas here.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)