Jun 28, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
South Carolina is yet to experience much success under head coach Frank Martin, but the team might be turning the corner, according to a report from Avery Wilks at Gamecock Central.
Although South Carolina is only 28-38 in two seasons under Martin, the former Kansas State head coach is finally getting most of the Gamecock roster in-line with his expectations for day-to-day work.
Frank Martin, a man not known for being particularly easy to please, is proud of the Gamecocks’ progress since the season ended in March.
Martin said he was “extremely happy” with the effort he’s seen from South Carolina’s players, including the incoming freshmen, in summer workouts.
“It’s day and night with the approach, the physicality, the attention to detail and the sense of urgency for every drill in the middle of summer,” said Martin, who is entering his third year as the team’s head coach.
The article goes on to mention that sophomore guard Duane Notice has really stood out and Martin seems happy with the progress that most of the guys on the roster have put in this offseason.
This bodes well for South Carolina’s season. Sometimes adjusting to a coach that is demanding as Martin can be difficult and it now seems like the Gamecocks are starting to work well under his system of doing things.
With talented players like senior guard Tyrone Johnson and sophomore wing Sindarius Thornwell returning, South Carolina has some potential All-SEC talent starting at the top of their roster.
The big question will be who steps up on the interior and makes a big contribution? Johnson, Thornwell and Duane Notice is a nice trio to work with, but until the Gamecocks get more from the inside, they’ll rely heavily on those three to carry them.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)