Jun 28, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
South Carolina is yet to experience much success under head coach Frank Martin, but the team might be turning the corner, according to a report from Avery Wilks at Gamecock Central.
Although South Carolina is only 28-38 in two seasons under Martin, the former Kansas State head coach is finally getting most of the Gamecock roster in-line with his expectations for day-to-day work.
Frank Martin, a man not known for being particularly easy to please, is proud of the Gamecocks’ progress since the season ended in March.
Martin said he was “extremely happy” with the effort he’s seen from South Carolina’s players, including the incoming freshmen, in summer workouts.
“It’s day and night with the approach, the physicality, the attention to detail and the sense of urgency for every drill in the middle of summer,” said Martin, who is entering his third year as the team’s head coach.
The article goes on to mention that sophomore guard Duane Notice has really stood out and Martin seems happy with the progress that most of the guys on the roster have put in this offseason.
This bodes well for South Carolina’s season. Sometimes adjusting to a coach that is demanding as Martin can be difficult and it now seems like the Gamecocks are starting to work well under his system of doing things.
With talented players like senior guard Tyrone Johnson and sophomore wing Sindarius Thornwell returning, South Carolina has some potential All-SEC talent starting at the top of their roster.
The big question will be who steps up on the interior and makes a big contribution? Johnson, Thornwell and Duane Notice is a nice trio to work with, but until the Gamecocks get more from the inside, they’ll rely heavily on those three to carry them.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)