Jun 28, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
South Carolina is yet to experience much success under head coach Frank Martin, but the team might be turning the corner, according to a report from Avery Wilks at Gamecock Central.
Although South Carolina is only 28-38 in two seasons under Martin, the former Kansas State head coach is finally getting most of the Gamecock roster in-line with his expectations for day-to-day work.
Frank Martin, a man not known for being particularly easy to please, is proud of the Gamecocks’ progress since the season ended in March.
Martin said he was “extremely happy” with the effort he’s seen from South Carolina’s players, including the incoming freshmen, in summer workouts.
“It’s day and night with the approach, the physicality, the attention to detail and the sense of urgency for every drill in the middle of summer,” said Martin, who is entering his third year as the team’s head coach.
The article goes on to mention that sophomore guard Duane Notice has really stood out and Martin seems happy with the progress that most of the guys on the roster have put in this offseason.
This bodes well for South Carolina’s season. Sometimes adjusting to a coach that is demanding as Martin can be difficult and it now seems like the Gamecocks are starting to work well under his system of doing things.
With talented players like senior guard Tyrone Johnson and sophomore wing Sindarius Thornwell returning, South Carolina has some potential All-SEC talent starting at the top of their roster.
The big question will be who steps up on the interior and makes a big contribution? Johnson, Thornwell and Duane Notice is a nice trio to work with, but until the Gamecocks get more from the inside, they’ll rely heavily on those three to carry them.
May 28, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Video surfaced showing that Alie-Cox wasn’t involved in the incident, contradicting a woman’s claim that he punched her in the face.
May 28, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT
UConn’s now added three transfers to the program this spring, two of whom will be eligible immediately as graduate students.
May 28, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Foster led Clemson to their only Elite 8 appearance in program history.
May 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Paige went to high school an hour from UNI’s campus.
May 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Iowa State fans shouldn’t freak out too much.
May 28, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Dellavedova was a star with the Gaels before he became this year’s NBA Playoff star.
May 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Byers created the term “student-athlete” and first sold TV rights for NCAA broadcasts, but later wrote a book blasting the NCAA for exploiting athletes.
May 28, 2015, 9:52 AM EDT
This is a step in the right direction by the Big 12.
May 27, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
It’s safe to say that Sherman is no fan of the NCAA.
May 27, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
The shot clock won’t have as much of an impact on offenses as lessening the physicality of the game.
May 27, 2015, 7:31 PM EDT
The 6-foot-11 center was originally expected to attend prep school before joining Memphis in 2016.
May 27, 2015, 5:38 PM EDT
The 6-foot-6 southpaw showed off his arm, and was accurate in doing so.
May 27, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Matthews is the recruit everyone forgets about.
May 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
That numbers is half what it was in 2015.
May 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Self and his wife created the Assists Foundation.
May 27, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Reed broke a cop’s finger while resisting a shoplifting arrest.
May 27, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT
Miles is 47-49 in three years with Nebraska.
May 27, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
This swing is ugly.
May 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Ayton finally got a chance to play this spring and delivered in a big way.
May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Point guard CJ Walker is focused on seven schools during the recruiting process.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)