Jun 28, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
South Carolina is yet to experience much success under head coach Frank Martin, but the team might be turning the corner, according to a report from Avery Wilks at Gamecock Central.
Although South Carolina is only 28-38 in two seasons under Martin, the former Kansas State head coach is finally getting most of the Gamecock roster in-line with his expectations for day-to-day work.
Frank Martin, a man not known for being particularly easy to please, is proud of the Gamecocks’ progress since the season ended in March.
Martin said he was “extremely happy” with the effort he’s seen from South Carolina’s players, including the incoming freshmen, in summer workouts.
“It’s day and night with the approach, the physicality, the attention to detail and the sense of urgency for every drill in the middle of summer,” said Martin, who is entering his third year as the team’s head coach.
The article goes on to mention that sophomore guard Duane Notice has really stood out and Martin seems happy with the progress that most of the guys on the roster have put in this offseason.
This bodes well for South Carolina’s season. Sometimes adjusting to a coach that is demanding as Martin can be difficult and it now seems like the Gamecocks are starting to work well under his system of doing things.
With talented players like senior guard Tyrone Johnson and sophomore wing Sindarius Thornwell returning, South Carolina has some potential All-SEC talent starting at the top of their roster.
The big question will be who steps up on the interior and makes a big contribution? Johnson, Thornwell and Duane Notice is a nice trio to work with, but until the Gamecocks get more from the inside, they’ll rely heavily on those three to carry them.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)