Jun 28, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
New Lamar head coach Tic Price has filled out his coaching staff for the 2014-15 season, with the school announcing the hiring of assistant coach Brian Burton and director of basketball operations Matt Pace on Friday. Burton, who spent his last three seasons at new Division I school Abilene Christian, takes over the role left vacant when Tony Madlock joined Andy Kennedy’s staff at Ole Miss.
Burton also has coaching experience at the junior college level, and that experience can help Lamar on the recruiting trail given the number of quality junior college programs in the state.
“Coach Burton a rising star with a high ceiling,” Price said in the release. “I believe he has a great future ahead of him. Brian has the ability relate well to players. One of the things I liked about him is that he is a tireless worker on the court and on the recruiting trail. He has a great eye for talent.”
Price will begin his first full season as the head coach at Lamar after serving as the team’s interim head coach in the last five games of the 2013-14 season. Lamar finished the year with a 4-26 record, going 3-15 in Southland Conference play. Lamar returns two of its top four scorers from that team, led by senior forward Donovan Ross (10.9 ppg, 5.2 rpg).
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)