Jun 29, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
Gonzaga, which added one talented transfer this past spring with USC graduate Byron Wesley deciding to use his final year of eligibility at the West Coast Conference school, has reportedly added another. According to Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, former Vanderbilt guard Eric McClellan has decided to join Mark Few’s program.
The hope is that McClellan, who averaged 14.2 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game in 12 contests last season, will be able to take the court at the end of the fall semester. But there are some issues to consider, most importantly McClellan’s need to take care of his remaining coursework. If that occurs, according to the report there’s a chance that Gonzaga could look into applying for a waiver that would grant McClellan immediate eligibility.
McClellan was originally suspended for the remainder of the 2013-14 season due to a violation of athletic department policy, with the school leaving the door open for a return this summer. However that changed two days after the original announcement, as Vanderbilt made the decision to dismiss McClellan from the program.
The addition of McClellan would be a positive one for Gonzaga, but it should be noted that the Bulldogs have plenty of depth in the backcourt. Starters Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. are back, as is junior Kyle Dranginis, and incoming freshmen Bryan Alberts, Silas Melson and Josh Perkins join Wesley as the newcomers joining the backcourt.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)