Jun 29, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Gonzaga, which added one talented transfer this past spring with USC graduate Byron Wesley deciding to use his final year of eligibility at the West Coast Conference school, has reportedly added another. According to Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, former Vanderbilt guard Eric McClellan has decided to join Mark Few’s program.
The hope is that McClellan, who averaged 14.2 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game in 12 contests last season, will be able to take the court at the end of the fall semester. But there are some issues to consider, most importantly McClellan’s need to take care of his remaining coursework. If that occurs, according to the report there’s a chance that Gonzaga could look into applying for a waiver that would grant McClellan immediate eligibility.
McClellan was originally suspended for the remainder of the 2013-14 season due to a violation of athletic department policy, with the school leaving the door open for a return this summer. However that changed two days after the original announcement, as Vanderbilt made the decision to dismiss McClellan from the program.
The addition of McClellan would be a positive one for Gonzaga, but it should be noted that the Bulldogs have plenty of depth in the backcourt. Starters Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. are back, as is junior Kyle Dranginis, and incoming freshmen Bryan Alberts, Silas Melson and Josh Perkins join Wesley as the newcomers joining the backcourt.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)