Jun 29, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
Gonzaga, which added one talented transfer this past spring with USC graduate Byron Wesley deciding to use his final year of eligibility at the West Coast Conference school, has reportedly added another. According to Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, former Vanderbilt guard Eric McClellan has decided to join Mark Few’s program.
The hope is that McClellan, who averaged 14.2 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game in 12 contests last season, will be able to take the court at the end of the fall semester. But there are some issues to consider, most importantly McClellan’s need to take care of his remaining coursework. If that occurs, according to the report there’s a chance that Gonzaga could look into applying for a waiver that would grant McClellan immediate eligibility.
McClellan was originally suspended for the remainder of the 2013-14 season due to a violation of athletic department policy, with the school leaving the door open for a return this summer. However that changed two days after the original announcement, as Vanderbilt made the decision to dismiss McClellan from the program.
The addition of McClellan would be a positive one for Gonzaga, but it should be noted that the Bulldogs have plenty of depth in the backcourt. Starters Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. are back, as is junior Kyle Dranginis, and incoming freshmen Bryan Alberts, Silas Melson and Josh Perkins join Wesley as the newcomers joining the backcourt.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)