Jun 29, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Gonzaga, which added one talented transfer this past spring with USC graduate Byron Wesley deciding to use his final year of eligibility at the West Coast Conference school, has reportedly added another. According to Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, former Vanderbilt guard Eric McClellan has decided to join Mark Few’s program.
The hope is that McClellan, who averaged 14.2 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game in 12 contests last season, will be able to take the court at the end of the fall semester. But there are some issues to consider, most importantly McClellan’s need to take care of his remaining coursework. If that occurs, according to the report there’s a chance that Gonzaga could look into applying for a waiver that would grant McClellan immediate eligibility.
McClellan was originally suspended for the remainder of the 2013-14 season due to a violation of athletic department policy, with the school leaving the door open for a return this summer. However that changed two days after the original announcement, as Vanderbilt made the decision to dismiss McClellan from the program.
The addition of McClellan would be a positive one for Gonzaga, but it should be noted that the Bulldogs have plenty of depth in the backcourt. Starters Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. are back, as is junior Kyle Dranginis, and incoming freshmen Bryan Alberts, Silas Melson and Josh Perkins join Wesley as the newcomers joining the backcourt.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)