Jun 29, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
With Jessie Evans and Jon Cremins leaving the Southeast Missouri coaching staff in May, with the latter moving on to Kennesaw State, head coach Dickey Nutt had two vacancies to fill on his staff. Saturday it was announced by the school that he has filled one, with former Citadel assistant Justin Argenal joining the Ohio Valley Conference program.
Prior to spending the 2013-14 season at The Citadel, Argenal spent two seasons working at Louisiana Tech as Michael White’s director of basketball operations. Argenal joins Jamie Rosser, the lone holdover from last season, on the Southeast Missouri coaching staff.
“We are especially pleased to welcome Justin Argenal to our coaching staff and basketball program,” Nutt said in the release. “Justin comes from very good programs which include Ole Miss, Louisiana Tech and The Citadel.
“We are looking forward to Justin making an impact in all areas such as recruiting, on-court coaching and other duties.”
With less than two weeks remaining until the first of three July open recruiting periods, it remains to be seen if Nutt fills the other vacancy before the July 9 start date (the first period runs from July 9-13). Former player Will Holifield, who was advised by doctors to stop playing due to his suffering multiple concussions, will remain with the program as a student assistant.
Southeast Missouri finished the 2013-14 season with an 18-14 record, going 8-8 in OVC play. The Redhawks will have to account for the loss of All-OVC forward Tyler Stone, who led the team in scoring and rebounding (19.3 ppg, 9.5 rpg) last season. Forward Jarekious Bradley, who posted averages of 19.0 points and 6.3 rebounds per game in 2013-14, will be back to lead the way in his senior campaign and SEMO returns three of its top four scorers.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)