Jun 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley started his 2015 recruiting class on Sunday morning with a verbal commitment from Elev8 Sports Academy (Florida) forward Leroy Butts.
The 6-foot-7 Butts had visited the Kingston, Rhode Island campus this weekend. In November 2013, he committed to Rutgers. At the time he held offers from Cincinnati and DePaul. Last week, he decommitted from Rutgers.
Former Rutgers assistant David Cox helped Butts choose the Scarlet Knights. Cox accepted a spot on Hurley’s coaching staff in May. Cox has roots in the Maryland/D.C. area. The Landover native previously served as an assistant coach at Georgetown. He began his coaching career with the D.C. Assault AAU program, which renamed itself D.C. Premier this year.
Butts, the three-star recruit, according to Rivals, is the first commit in Rhode Island’s Class of 2015. The Rams frontline will need to replace the production of Gilvydas Biruta, a Rutgers transfer, who has one year of eligibility remaining.
On the summer circuit, Butts is averaging 7.4 points and 4.8 rebounds per game for D.C. Premier in the Under Armour Association. The Washington D.C.-based program is currently third in the East Conference standings with an 8-2 record.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)