Jun 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley started his 2015 recruiting class on Sunday morning with a verbal commitment from Elev8 Sports Academy (Florida) forward Leroy Butts.
The 6-foot-7 Butts had visited the Kingston, Rhode Island campus this weekend. In November 2013, he committed to Rutgers. At the time he held offers from Cincinnati and DePaul. Last week, he decommitted from Rutgers.
Former Rutgers assistant David Cox helped Butts choose the Scarlet Knights. Cox accepted a spot on Hurley’s coaching staff in May. Cox has roots in the Maryland/D.C. area. The Landover native previously served as an assistant coach at Georgetown. He began his coaching career with the D.C. Assault AAU program, which renamed itself D.C. Premier this year.
Butts, the three-star recruit, according to Rivals, is the first commit in Rhode Island’s Class of 2015. The Rams frontline will need to replace the production of Gilvydas Biruta, a Rutgers transfer, who has one year of eligibility remaining.
On the summer circuit, Butts is averaging 7.4 points and 4.8 rebounds per game for D.C. Premier in the Under Armour Association. The Washington D.C.-based program is currently third in the East Conference standings with an 8-2 record.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)