Jun 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley started his 2015 recruiting class on Sunday morning with a verbal commitment from Elev8 Sports Academy (Florida) forward Leroy Butts.
The 6-foot-7 Butts had visited the Kingston, Rhode Island campus this weekend. In November 2013, he committed to Rutgers. At the time he held offers from Cincinnati and DePaul. Last week, he decommitted from Rutgers.
Former Rutgers assistant David Cox helped Butts choose the Scarlet Knights. Cox accepted a spot on Hurley’s coaching staff in May. Cox has roots in the Maryland/D.C. area. The Landover native previously served as an assistant coach at Georgetown. He began his coaching career with the D.C. Assault AAU program, which renamed itself D.C. Premier this year.
Butts, the three-star recruit, according to Rivals, is the first commit in Rhode Island’s Class of 2015. The Rams frontline will need to replace the production of Gilvydas Biruta, a Rutgers transfer, who has one year of eligibility remaining.
On the summer circuit, Butts is averaging 7.4 points and 4.8 rebounds per game for D.C. Premier in the Under Armour Association. The Washington D.C.-based program is currently third in the East Conference standings with an 8-2 record.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)