Jun 29, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
Sunday afternoon Valparaiso head coach Bryce Drew announced a player departure from his program, with 6-foot-4 guard/forward Clay Yeo making the decision to transfer to Bethel College. Bethel College plays at the NAIA level.
“Our university and program have invested a lot into Clay, and we are proud that he has became a better man, a better student and a better basketball player from his time at Valpo,” Drew said in the release.
“He has expressed a strong desire to be closer to his family and high school friends, so we are releasing him from his scholarship at Valpo to enroll at Bethel College.”
In his lone season at Valparaiso, Yeo played an average of 12.9 minutes per contest in 28 games (one start). Yeo averaged 4.1 points per game last season, shooting 44.7% from the field and 45.5% from beyond the arc. Yeo’s best offensive performance of the season came in a blowout win over Division III North Park University, as he scored 15 points in 22 minutes of action.
However against Division I competition the highlight of Yeo’s freshman campaign came in a win over Oakland on February 9, as he scored 12 points and hit the game-winning three pointer in the 63-60 victory. Yeo scored nine points in his final game as a Crusader, a 58-56 loss to Columbia in the CIT.
Valparaiso, which finished the 2013-14 season with an 18-16 record (7-9 Horizon League), lost two of its top three scorers from that group with forward Alec Peters (12.7 ppg, 4.8 rpg) being their leading returning scorer.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)