Jun 29, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
Sunday afternoon Valparaiso head coach Bryce Drew announced a player departure from his program, with 6-foot-4 guard/forward Clay Yeo making the decision to transfer to Bethel College. Bethel College plays at the NAIA level.
“Our university and program have invested a lot into Clay, and we are proud that he has became a better man, a better student and a better basketball player from his time at Valpo,” Drew said in the release.
“He has expressed a strong desire to be closer to his family and high school friends, so we are releasing him from his scholarship at Valpo to enroll at Bethel College.”
In his lone season at Valparaiso, Yeo played an average of 12.9 minutes per contest in 28 games (one start). Yeo averaged 4.1 points per game last season, shooting 44.7% from the field and 45.5% from beyond the arc. Yeo’s best offensive performance of the season came in a blowout win over Division III North Park University, as he scored 15 points in 22 minutes of action.
However against Division I competition the highlight of Yeo’s freshman campaign came in a win over Oakland on February 9, as he scored 12 points and hit the game-winning three pointer in the 63-60 victory. Yeo scored nine points in his final game as a Crusader, a 58-56 loss to Columbia in the CIT.
Valparaiso, which finished the 2013-14 season with an 18-16 record (7-9 Horizon League), lost two of its top three scorers from that group with forward Alec Peters (12.7 ppg, 4.8 rpg) being their leading returning scorer.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1