Jun 30, 2014, 3:33 PM EST
The NCAA has given North Carolina verbal notice that they will be reopening an investigation into the accusations of academic irregularities within the athletics programs, athletic director Bubba Cunningham announced on Monday afternoon.
“The NCAA has determined that additional people with information and others who were previously uncooperative might now be willing to speak to the enforcement staff,” the press release said.
In the release, Cunningham says that Kenneth Wainstein, a lawyer that was retained to conduct an independent investigation, was to share any relevant findings with the NCAA, directly and confidentially.
Earlier this month, former UNC guard Rashad McCants went on Outside The Lines saying that not only were the accusations true, but that UNC head coach Roy Williams knew about the academic improprieties.
The NCAA has released the following statement:
“The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, was cited by the Division I Committee on Infractions in 2012 for violations in its athletics program, including academic misconduct. As with any case, the NCAA enforcement staff makes clear it will revisit the matter if additional information becomes available. After determining that additional people with information and others who were previously uncooperative might be willing to speak with the enforcement staff, the NCAA has reopened its investigation. The enforcement staff is exploring this new information to ensure an exhaustive investigation is conducted based on all available information. The NCAA will not comment further to protect the integrity of the investigation.”
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 1
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)