Jun 30, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
The NCAA has given North Carolina verbal notice that they will be reopening an investigation into the accusations of academic irregularities within the athletics programs, athletic director Bubba Cunningham announced on Monday afternoon.
“The NCAA has determined that additional people with information and others who were previously uncooperative might now be willing to speak to the enforcement staff,” the press release said.
In the release, Cunningham says that Kenneth Wainstein, a lawyer that was retained to conduct an independent investigation, was to share any relevant findings with the NCAA, directly and confidentially.
Earlier this month, former UNC guard Rashad McCants went on Outside The Lines saying that not only were the accusations true, but that UNC head coach Roy Williams knew about the academic improprieties.
The NCAA has released the following statement:
“The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, was cited by the Division I Committee on Infractions in 2012 for violations in its athletics program, including academic misconduct. As with any case, the NCAA enforcement staff makes clear it will revisit the matter if additional information becomes available. After determining that additional people with information and others who were previously uncooperative might be willing to speak with the enforcement staff, the NCAA has reopened its investigation. The enforcement staff is exploring this new information to ensure an exhaustive investigation is conducted based on all available information. The NCAA will not comment further to protect the integrity of the investigation.”
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)