Jun 30, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
The FIFA World Cup has captured the nation’s attention over the last couple of weeks, but perhaps more relevant — at least for this particular website — is the FIBA World Cup, which will be held for the first time ever in September.
The event will take place in Spain, and don’t be surprised to see a number of relevant names for college hoops fans pop up.
Karl Towns, a top ten recruit in the Class of 2014 and a soon-to-be star center for Kentucky, is listed on the roster for the Dominican team, which will be coached by former Kentucky assistant and current South Florida head coach Orlando Antigua.
Australia’s roster is chock-full of names that college basketball fans will know, from former St. Mary’s stars Patty Mills and Matthew Dellavedova to Cameron Bairstow, a second-team all-american for New Mexico this past season, to Ben Simmons, who is the No. 1 recruit in the Class of 2015.
Senegal will feature Maurice Ndour on their roster. Ndour averaged 13.8 points and 7.0 boards as a junior for the Ohio Bobcats.
“For me, this is just a blessing,” Ndour said. “I can remember being young and playing basketball in Senegal. All the guys would tell me, ‘Keep playing hard, we hope to see you on the national team some day.’ When I first got the call, it was just overwhelming because I was so happy. I’m so proud and excited to represent my country.”
But here’s the confusing part: Ndour isn’t actually listed on Senegal’s roster on the FIBA World Cup site, which means that the rest of the rosters may not accurately portray who is going to be making their way to Spain. But keep an eye out for posts like this, as there will assuredly be a number of college basketball players that will participate.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)