Jun 30, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Samford picked up a late 2014 commitment on Monday as the Bulldogs landed Paul VI (Va.) guard Evan Taylor.
Taylor announced the commitment on his Twitter and the 6-foot-4 guard was the only senior last season for Paul VI, which was one of the best high school basketball teams in the country last season. Paul VI finished the season 31-6 and won the WCAC championship, the VISAA D1 State championship, and the ACIT championship and was nationally ranked at the end of the year.
A do-it-all guard that can handle, pass and defend, Taylor is a nice late addition for Samford because he’s capable of stepping in and doing multiple things for the Bulldogs. He’s a bit of a late-bloomer as Taylor only averaged 3.5 points per game as a junior before stepping up his play to average nearly double-figures as a senior.
Samford finished 13-20 last season and could use an influx of talent next season. Getting a player from a winning program like Taylor should help a bit in that equation.
Taylor joins Wallace State Community College point guard Marcus Johnson, Barton Community College guard Darius Gibson and high school wings Gerald Smith and Jamal Shabazz in Samford’s 2014 class.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)