Jun 30, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Samford picked up a late 2014 commitment on Monday as the Bulldogs landed Paul VI (Va.) guard Evan Taylor.
Taylor announced the commitment on his Twitter and the 6-foot-4 guard was the only senior last season for Paul VI, which was one of the best high school basketball teams in the country last season. Paul VI finished the season 31-6 and won the WCAC championship, the VISAA D1 State championship, and the ACIT championship and was nationally ranked at the end of the year.
A do-it-all guard that can handle, pass and defend, Taylor is a nice late addition for Samford because he’s capable of stepping in and doing multiple things for the Bulldogs. He’s a bit of a late-bloomer as Taylor only averaged 3.5 points per game as a junior before stepping up his play to average nearly double-figures as a senior.
Samford finished 13-20 last season and could use an influx of talent next season. Getting a player from a winning program like Taylor should help a bit in that equation.
Taylor joins Wallace State Community College point guard Marcus Johnson, Barton Community College guard Darius Gibson and high school wings Gerald Smith and Jamal Shabazz in Samford’s 2014 class.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)