Jun 30, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Samford picked up a late 2014 commitment on Monday as the Bulldogs landed Paul VI (Va.) guard Evan Taylor.
Taylor announced the commitment on his Twitter and the 6-foot-4 guard was the only senior last season for Paul VI, which was one of the best high school basketball teams in the country last season. Paul VI finished the season 31-6 and won the WCAC championship, the VISAA D1 State championship, and the ACIT championship and was nationally ranked at the end of the year.
A do-it-all guard that can handle, pass and defend, Taylor is a nice late addition for Samford because he’s capable of stepping in and doing multiple things for the Bulldogs. He’s a bit of a late-bloomer as Taylor only averaged 3.5 points per game as a junior before stepping up his play to average nearly double-figures as a senior.
Samford finished 13-20 last season and could use an influx of talent next season. Getting a player from a winning program like Taylor should help a bit in that equation.
Taylor joins Wallace State Community College point guard Marcus Johnson, Barton Community College guard Darius Gibson and high school wings Gerald Smith and Jamal Shabazz in Samford’s 2014 class.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)