Jun 30, 2014, 5:50 PM EST
During the 2013-14 season, Seton Hall and head coach Kevin Willard really didn’t face too many difficult non-conference opponents. The Pirates were 9-4 during the non-conference portion of the schedule last season but lost to both teams, Mercer and Oklahoma, that reached the 2014 NCAA Tournament out of those 13 games.
Seton Hall eventually struggled to a 6-12 record in Big East play before making an unlikely run to the semifinals of the conference tournament to finish the year at 17-17.
But this season, with experienced pieces like Sterling Gibbs and Jaren Sina returning along with a highly-touted recruiting class, Willard’s team will be tested quite a bit in the early part of the season.
According to a release from the school, Seton Hall will have some tough games before they hit Big East play this season.
Some highlights include a road game at Wichita State on December 9th, a road game at Georgia on December 21st and a trip to the Paradise Jam, which includes an opening game against Nevada and features Clemson, LSU, Old Dominion, Gardner Webb, Illinois State and Weber State.
Atlantic Sun champion Mercer also plays the Pirates again to open the season on November 16th and NEC champion Mount St. Mary’s (December 2nd), George Washington (November 29th) and Rutgers (December 6th) also play games at the Prudential Center as well this season.
Expectations will be high for Seton Hall this season as McDonald’s All-American and guard Isaiah Whitehead joins the roster and other talented newcomers include forward Angel Delgado, forward Mike Nzei and guard Khadeen Carrington. This schedule should test this team quite a bit as Willard’s team hopes to compete for a postseason berth next season.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)