Jun 30, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Has Kevin Ollie landed the next Shabazz Napier?
In terms of on-court ability, it’s unfair to put Jalen Adams into the same conversation as the reigning NCAA tournament MOP and the guy that LeBron James more-or-less forced the Heat front office to draft as of yet.
But Adams, the No. 26 recruit in the country, according to Rivals.com, is a score-first point guard from Roxbury, Ma., the same town that produced Napier. And on Monday, Adams announced his commitment to play his college ball at UConn, the school where Napier won two national titles.
“I have officially decided that I will continue to pursue my dream at the University of Connecticut and play for Coach Kevin Ollie,” Adams tweeted.
RELATED: Jalen Adams preps for a big summer
This is a big get for Ollie, as Adams is one of the premier high school guards in the Northeast. He’s a playmaker with the ball in his hands, and given the way that Ollie has allowed Napier and Ryan Boatright to have freedom with the ball in their hands, Adams should be a great fit for the Huskies.
And he may have that clutch-gene that Napier had as well. As a sophomore, he hit a NEPSAC title-winning 25-footer at the buzzer.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 3
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)