Jun 30, 2014, 11:58 AM EST
Has Kevin Ollie landed the next Shabazz Napier?
In terms of on-court ability, it’s unfair to put Jalen Adams into the same conversation as the reigning NCAA tournament MOP and the guy that LeBron James more-or-less forced the Heat front office to draft as of yet.
But Adams, the No. 26 recruit in the country, according to Rivals.com, is a score-first point guard from Roxbury, Ma., the same town that produced Napier. And on Monday, Adams announced his commitment to play his college ball at UConn, the school where Napier won two national titles.
“I have officially decided that I will continue to pursue my dream at the University of Connecticut and play for Coach Kevin Ollie,” Adams tweeted.
RELATED: Jalen Adams preps for a big summer
This is a big get for Ollie, as Adams is one of the premier high school guards in the Northeast. He’s a playmaker with the ball in his hands, and given the way that Ollie has allowed Napier and Ryan Boatright to have freedom with the ball in their hands, Adams should be a great fit for the Huskies.
And he may have that clutch-gene that Napier had as well. As a sophomore, he hit a NEPSAC title-winning 25-footer at the buzzer.
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)