Jun 30, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Has Kevin Ollie landed the next Shabazz Napier?
In terms of on-court ability, it’s unfair to put Jalen Adams into the same conversation as the reigning NCAA tournament MOP and the guy that LeBron James more-or-less forced the Heat front office to draft as of yet.
But Adams, the No. 26 recruit in the country, according to Rivals.com, is a score-first point guard from Roxbury, Ma., the same town that produced Napier. And on Monday, Adams announced his commitment to play his college ball at UConn, the school where Napier won two national titles.
“I have officially decided that I will continue to pursue my dream at the University of Connecticut and play for Coach Kevin Ollie,” Adams tweeted.
RELATED: Jalen Adams preps for a big summer
This is a big get for Ollie, as Adams is one of the premier high school guards in the Northeast. He’s a playmaker with the ball in his hands, and given the way that Ollie has allowed Napier and Ryan Boatright to have freedom with the ball in their hands, Adams should be a great fit for the Huskies.
And he may have that clutch-gene that Napier had as well. As a sophomore, he hit a NEPSAC title-winning 25-footer at the buzzer.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)