Jul 1, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Florida Gulf Coast forward Filip Cvjeticanin will miss the entire 2014-2015 season, and will redshirt, the school announced on Monday. The 6-foot-9 rising senior will undergo back surgery and is expected back for the 2015-2016 season.
“Filip’s back has plagued him for some time. He hasn’t been able to lift weights and has missed valuable practice time,” Florida Gulf Coast head coach Joe Dooley said in a statement. “This procedure will hopefully fix those issues. It gives him some time to get stronger and continue to develop. We’re looking forward to having him rehab here at FGCU following the procedure and expect him to contribute significantly during the 2015-16 season.
As a junior, Cvjeticanin, the native of Croatia, accepted a bigger role, averaging 6.8 points and 2.7 rebounds in 22.4 minutes per game. He was the top 3-point shooter for the Eagles, knocking down 40 percent of his attempts from behind the arc. He reached double figures in eight games.
Florida Gulf Coast missed a second consecutive NCAA tournament appearance, falling to Mercer in the Atlantic Sun Tournament title game.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)