Jul 1, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Florida Gulf Coast forward Filip Cvjeticanin will miss the entire 2014-2015 season, and will redshirt, the school announced on Monday. The 6-foot-9 rising senior will undergo back surgery and is expected back for the 2015-2016 season.
“Filip’s back has plagued him for some time. He hasn’t been able to lift weights and has missed valuable practice time,” Florida Gulf Coast head coach Joe Dooley said in a statement. “This procedure will hopefully fix those issues. It gives him some time to get stronger and continue to develop. We’re looking forward to having him rehab here at FGCU following the procedure and expect him to contribute significantly during the 2015-16 season.
As a junior, Cvjeticanin, the native of Croatia, accepted a bigger role, averaging 6.8 points and 2.7 rebounds in 22.4 minutes per game. He was the top 3-point shooter for the Eagles, knocking down 40 percent of his attempts from behind the arc. He reached double figures in eight games.
Florida Gulf Coast missed a second consecutive NCAA tournament appearance, falling to Mercer in the Atlantic Sun Tournament title game.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)