Jul 1, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
It’s official. Florida and Miami will once again meet up on the hardwood, agreeing to a home-and-home series beginning this season, the schools announced on Tuesday.
The two sides have been in discussion about renewing the in-state matchup since late May.
The first game will be played Nov. 17 at the O’Dome in Gainesville. The annual contest will shift to Coral Gables for the 2015-2016 season. The last time the Gators and Hurricanes met was in 2009 during the second round of the postseason NIT. Florida went on to win 74-60. The Gators also won the last regular season game, with a 77-67 win over Miami in December 2005.
The Nov. 17 matchup should be a solid early-season showdown between Florida, fresh off its Final Four appearance, hosting a Miami team that is looking to bounce back from a down 2013-2014 season.
Despite losing four starters, Florida should be a top-15 team to start the season with Kasey Hill, Chris Walker, Michael Frazier II, Dorian Finney-Smith. Miami revamps its back court around transfers Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan.
Florida hold a 45-22 advantage over Miami.
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 0
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)