Jul 1, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
The July live recruiting period is days away, but one 2015 recruit was ready to make the call. On Tuesday, Neenah High (Wisconsin) rising senior decided to stay in-state, giving his verbal commitment to Marquette.
“Ecstatic to be committed to Marquette! Thanks to everyone who has helped me on my journey so far,” he tweeted.
The 6-foot-10 center had offers from Green Bay, UW-Milwaukee, Northern Illinois, Toledo and Marquette’s Big East foe, Xavier. According to Rivals, Heldt had visited Xavier back in January. Steve Wojciechowski, who took over the program in early April, extended an offer to one of the best rising seniors in Wisconsin later that month.
The addition of a big man is important for Wojciechowski’s first recruiting class. Marquette graduated its top three rebounders in Jamil Wilson, Davante Gardner and Chris Otule. Luke Fischer, the Indiana transfer, is eligible to make his debut with the Golden Eagles after the fall semester this season.
Heldt becomes the second commit in Marquette’s Class of 2015, both hailing from Wisconsin. Sun Prairie High point guard Nick Noskowiak had originally committed to Buzz Williams. Once Williams left for Virginia Tech, the four-star guard decided to reopen his recruitment, only to recommit to the Golden Eagles on May 1.
Marquette has three scholarships still available.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)