Jul 1, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
The July live recruiting period is days away, but one 2015 recruit was ready to make the call. On Tuesday, Neenah High (Wisconsin) rising senior decided to stay in-state, giving his verbal commitment to Marquette.
“Ecstatic to be committed to Marquette! Thanks to everyone who has helped me on my journey so far,” he tweeted.
The 6-foot-10 center had offers from Green Bay, UW-Milwaukee, Northern Illinois, Toledo and Marquette’s Big East foe, Xavier. According to Rivals, Heldt had visited Xavier back in January. Steve Wojciechowski, who took over the program in early April, extended an offer to one of the best rising seniors in Wisconsin later that month.
The addition of a big man is important for Wojciechowski’s first recruiting class. Marquette graduated its top three rebounders in Jamil Wilson, Davante Gardner and Chris Otule. Luke Fischer, the Indiana transfer, is eligible to make his debut with the Golden Eagles after the fall semester this season.
Heldt becomes the second commit in Marquette’s Class of 2015, both hailing from Wisconsin. Sun Prairie High point guard Nick Noskowiak had originally committed to Buzz Williams. Once Williams left for Virginia Tech, the four-star guard decided to reopen his recruitment, only to recommit to the Golden Eagles on May 1.
Marquette has three scholarships still available.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)