Jul 1, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
The July live recruiting period is days away, but one 2015 recruit was ready to make the call. On Tuesday, Neenah High (Wisconsin) rising senior decided to stay in-state, giving his verbal commitment to Marquette.
“Ecstatic to be committed to Marquette! Thanks to everyone who has helped me on my journey so far,” he tweeted.
The 6-foot-10 center had offers from Green Bay, UW-Milwaukee, Northern Illinois, Toledo and Marquette’s Big East foe, Xavier. According to Rivals, Heldt had visited Xavier back in January. Steve Wojciechowski, who took over the program in early April, extended an offer to one of the best rising seniors in Wisconsin later that month.
The addition of a big man is important for Wojciechowski’s first recruiting class. Marquette graduated its top three rebounders in Jamil Wilson, Davante Gardner and Chris Otule. Luke Fischer, the Indiana transfer, is eligible to make his debut with the Golden Eagles after the fall semester this season.
Heldt becomes the second commit in Marquette’s Class of 2015, both hailing from Wisconsin. Sun Prairie High point guard Nick Noskowiak had originally committed to Buzz Williams. Once Williams left for Virginia Tech, the four-star guard decided to reopen his recruitment, only to recommit to the Golden Eagles on May 1.
Marquette has three scholarships still available.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)