Jul 1, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
I’m going to be honest with you here: you will not be overwhelmed by what you see in this mixtape. Stanley Johnson might actually be the best all-around basketball player in the Class of 2014 — I think he’ll have a shot at Pac-12 Player of the Year as a freshman — but he doesn’t have the overwhelming explosiveness that makes a youtube video go viral.
I’m going to share a story about Stanley Johnson that more-or-less encapsulates what he is as a player.
It was during the Nike Global Challenge last summer. Johnson was on the USA’s West team and they were playing the Pan-African team that featured, among other American high school players, N.C. State-bound Abdul Malik Abu. The USA team was struggling on both ends, so Johnson — who stands 6-foot-7, 240 pounds — took over point guard duties, getting that group to look like they knew what they were doing offensively. They were also getting pounded in the paint, so Johnson switched over to guard Malik Abu, a 6-foot-9 powerhouse and top 50 recruit.
That about sums up who he is as a player, and that’s not the kind of thing that you pick up in a mixtape.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)