Jul 1, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
I’m going to be honest with you here: you will not be overwhelmed by what you see in this mixtape. Stanley Johnson might actually be the best all-around basketball player in the Class of 2014 — I think he’ll have a shot at Pac-12 Player of the Year as a freshman — but he doesn’t have the overwhelming explosiveness that makes a youtube video go viral.
I’m going to share a story about Stanley Johnson that more-or-less encapsulates what he is as a player.
It was during the Nike Global Challenge last summer. Johnson was on the USA’s West team and they were playing the Pan-African team that featured, among other American high school players, N.C. State-bound Abdul Malik Abu. The USA team was struggling on both ends, so Johnson — who stands 6-foot-7, 240 pounds — took over point guard duties, getting that group to look like they knew what they were doing offensively. They were also getting pounded in the paint, so Johnson switched over to guard Malik Abu, a 6-foot-9 powerhouse and top 50 recruit.
That about sums up who he is as a player, and that’s not the kind of thing that you pick up in a mixtape.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)