Jul 2, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
Georgia Southern redshirt senior forward Eric Ferguson, who sat out all of last season after undergoing knee surgery in the spring of 2013, was one of two people arrested on various drug and weapons charges according to Jason Wermers of the Statesboro (Ga.) Herald.
Ferguson and Brian Holmes, who completed his two-year career at Georgia Southern this spring, were charged with the following offenses: possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, possession of a schedule II drug, possession of a schedule III drug, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime and possession/use of a drug-related object according to the report.
…the Statesboro-Bulloch Crime Suppression Team obtained the warrant and searched an apartment at 111 South on Rucker Lane on June 26, Bulloch County Sheriff Lynn Anderson said in a news release issued Wednesday.
The search was performed after officers received complaints of “drug transactions” from the apartment, Anderson said. During the search, investigators recovered marijuana, various controlled prescription drugs and an “AR-15 style rifle,” the sheriff said.
As a junior Ferguson posted averages of 13.5 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, shooting 47.8% from the field and 32.8% from beyond the arc. With the Eagles returning leading scorer Jelani Hewitt (19.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 3.1 apg) and adding College of Charleston transfer Trent Wiedeman (he sat out last season per NCAA transfer rules), the return of Ferguson would be a welcome bonus for a program playing its first season in the Sun Belt.
However with this current legal issue it remains to be seen what head coach Mark Byington and athletic director Tom Kleinlein do with Ferguson. SID Barrett Gilham is quoted in the story as saying that Kleinlein wants to have a conversation with Ferguson before taking action.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)