Jul 2, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
In each of the last two offseasons Harvard head coach Tommy Amaker has lost an assistant to Vanderbilt, with Yanni Hufnagel (now at Cal) making the move in 2013 and Adam Cohen doing so this past spring. With Cohen’s departure there was a vacancy to be filled and on Wednesday Harvard officially announced its hiring of Brian Eskildsen.
Eskildsen followed a path to Cambridge similar to that of Cohen, as he was a member of Ben Braun’s staff at Rice last season. Cohen spent the 2012-13 season as a member of Braun’s staff before joining the Harvard staff for a season.
Eskildsen served as the recruiting coordinator at Rice, and he joins a staff that consists of associate head coach Brian DeStefano and assistant Christian Webster. Harvard’s won at least a share of the last four Ivy League titles, winning an NCAA tournament game in each of their last two appearances.
The Crimson lost three key seniors (forward Kyle Casey and guards Brandyn Curry and Laurent Rivard) from last season’s team but they’re expected to be the favorites in the Ivy League once again in 2014-15.
Guard Siyani Chambers, guard/forward Wesley Saunders and forward Steve Moundou-Missi lead the returnees, and highly-regarded power forward Chris Egi joins a front court that has a number of options.
- Looking Forward: Seven coaches who’ll enter 2015-16 on the ‘hot seat’ 0
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 2
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)