Jul 2, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
In each of the last two offseasons Harvard head coach Tommy Amaker has lost an assistant to Vanderbilt, with Yanni Hufnagel (now at Cal) making the move in 2013 and Adam Cohen doing so this past spring. With Cohen’s departure there was a vacancy to be filled and on Wednesday Harvard officially announced its hiring of Brian Eskildsen.
Eskildsen followed a path to Cambridge similar to that of Cohen, as he was a member of Ben Braun’s staff at Rice last season. Cohen spent the 2012-13 season as a member of Braun’s staff before joining the Harvard staff for a season.
Eskildsen served as the recruiting coordinator at Rice, and he joins a staff that consists of associate head coach Brian DeStefano and assistant Christian Webster. Harvard’s won at least a share of the last four Ivy League titles, winning an NCAA tournament game in each of their last two appearances.
The Crimson lost three key seniors (forward Kyle Casey and guards Brandyn Curry and Laurent Rivard) from last season’s team but they’re expected to be the favorites in the Ivy League once again in 2014-15.
Guard Siyani Chambers, guard/forward Wesley Saunders and forward Steve Moundou-Missi lead the returnees, and highly-regarded power forward Chris Egi joins a front court that has a number of options.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)