Jul 2, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
John Calipari is not the best basketball coach in the collegiate ranks. I think that he’d even be willing to admit as much.
He is, however, the best coach when it comes to running a college program. He knows how to recruit, he knows how to get players to buy into his program, he knows how to get a fan base motivated and he is one of the best when it comes to dealing with media. The marriage of Coach Cal, Big Blue Nation and Kentucky basketball is perfect.
Perhaps what Cal does better than anything else is create spin. If there’s something that he wants to say, a message that he wants to get across, he’s going to make that point regardless of what question he’s asked or what topic he’s discussing. He’s a master at it, and his latest post over at CoachCal.com is the perfect example.
In that post, Cal creates a list of 20 questions that every recruit should be asking of a potential college coach, calling their choice on where to go to college “a business decision, not an emotional one”. And it should come as no surprise to you that Kentucky comes up looking quite favorable when compared to any other program.
Now to be fair, there’s a reason for that. Kentucky has sent 19 players (if you include Enes Kanter) to the NBA in Cal’s five seasons while winning one national title, making another national title game and a third Final Four. When one of college basketball’s best programs is teamed up with college basketball’s best CEO, you are going to get results.
But if you think that these 20 questions were anything other than a promotional post for Kentucky, I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. The title might as well be “20 Questions That Prove You Should Go To Kentucky”.
Anyway, here are the 20 questions:
- 1. Does your program offer multi-year (four-year) scholarships?
- 2. How many players have graduated from your program over the last four to five years?
- 3. How many players have graduated from your school and gone on to the NBA?
- 4. How many players have come back to finish school after they have left to pursue other dreams? Who pays for it?
- 5. How many of your players were insured through the disability program last season? If none were, why not?
- 6. What is your team grade-point average?
- 7. Where does your Academic Progress Rate retention rank among other schools?
- 8. What type of media training do you offer?
- 9. What kind of social media training program do you have in place? What are your social media policies?
- 10. How many double-figure scorers have you averaged in the last four to five years? If you only have one or two a year, what does that mean for me?
- 11. Have you ever coached anyone like me? If so, who?
- 12. How many McDonald’s All-Americans have you coached? How many of them went on to the NBA?
- 13. How have your teams fared with three or four McDonald’s All-Americans on the same team?
- 14. How many freshmen have you started within the last four to five years?
- 15. How many draft picks have you had over the last five years? How many drafted were not McDonald’s All-Americans? How many of the total were first-rounders and were any of them No. 1 draft picks during that time?
- 16. How many of those players have gone on to make the NBA All-Rookie team?
- 17. How many games will my family be able to watch on national television?
- 18. How many of your home games are sold out? How many of your road games are sold out?
- 19. How have you done in postseason play? Any Final Fours?
- 20. What is your core philosophy?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
The elite PG from New Jersey had his first in-person meeting with Kentucky head coach John Calipari on Thursday.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
The South Charleston HS floor general was one of the state’s best players last season, and he could prep for a year before joining the WVU program.
Sep 20, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
The son of a former national champion has made a name for himself by scoring 28 points per game as a junior.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Mount St. Mary’s rewarded head coach Jamion Christian with an extension.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Gonzaga has one of its deepest teams of all time and the Bulldogs are challenging themselves with a difficult non-conference schedule.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Bradley forward Auston Barnes has been charged with misdemeanor domestic battery following an August arrest.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Pitt and head coach Jamie Dixon no longer hold a commitment from a former 2016 recruit.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
A three-star forward has four schools that are heavily involved.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Matt McQuaid can really light it up from the perimeter.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman is ranked the No. 10 overall recruit by Rivals.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Kentucky fans camped out on Monday in order to officially camp out for tickets on Wednesday morning.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The Rhode Island forward is eligible after missing the 2013-2014 season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-8 forward has two years of eligibility remaining.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
He was arrested on Feb. 14.
Sep 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The Yellow Jackets have added two new assistant to the coaching staff this offseason.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
The Orange holds the first of two exhibition games on Nov. 2.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
The Roselle Catholic (New Jersey) product picked the Gamecocks over Seton Hall and Rhode Island.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Interestingly enough, UAB visits Chattanooga December 22.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)