Jul 2, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
After starting all 35 games and posting averages of 8.4 points and 3.0 rebounds per contest last season, guard Josh Fortune made the decision to transfer from the Providence program. Wednesday it was learned that the Virginia native has found a new school, with CBS Sports‘ Jon Rothstein reporting that Fortune will be transferring to Colorado.
Fortune, who has two years of eligibility remaining, will have to sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules but his perimeter shooting ability makes this a solid pickup for Colorado head coach Tad Boyle and his staff.
As a sophomore, Fortune shot 41.4% from the field and 35.0% from beyond the arc, and while those numbers may not jump off the page they represent solid improvements when compared to his freshman season. Fortune made his greatest strides during the Friars’ late-season run to the Big East tournament title and a spot in the NCAA tournament, reaching double figures in nine of Providence’s final 13 games.
By comparison, Fortune reached double figures in just six of Providence’s first 22 contests. The most important performance in that late-season stretch was a 24-point outing in Providence’s Big East quarterfinal win over St. John’s, a game billed by more than a few as an “elimination game” of sorts with regards to the NCAA tournament.
The addition of Fortune gives Colorado some needed depth at the off guard position, especially when considering the fact that Askia Booker will be a senior in 2014-15. From a shooting standpoint Colorado made just 31.3% of its three-pointers in 2013-14, ranking 11th in the Pac-12 in that category, and the 6-foot-5 Fortune has the shooting ability needed to help the Buffaloes improve on that figure.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)