Jul 2, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Just a few months after completing a 22-13 season, his third 20-win campaign as the head coach at VMI, Duggar Baucom has been rewarded with a contract extension through the 2018-19 season. The school announced the news Wednesday afternoon.
“I am excited to have the opportunity to lead VMI Basketball through 2019,” Baucom said in the release. “I am very proud of the competitive program we have established at VMI. The credit for the success we have built here is far reaching. Our achievements are due to my outstanding coaching staff, strength coach, training staff, academic support personnel, sports information department, administrative assistant and the great support of our loyal Keydet Nation.”
Last season Baucom’s Keydets made the program’s first postseason appearance in 37 years as they played in the CIT. Simply making the event wasn’t enough for VMI however, as they won three games before falling to Yale in the semifinals.
In nine seasons at VMI, Baucom has posted a record of 140-140 and his teams have reached the Big South tournament title game on three separate occasions. VMI will have to account for the graduation of two of their top three scorers in forward/center D.J. Covington and guard Rodney Glasgow, with both earning first team All-Big South honors, but guard QJ Peterson will be back for his sophomore campaign.
Peterson posted averages of 19.0 points and 5.6 rebounds per game in VMI’s high-paced system, and he was named to the league’s second team all-conference squad.
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 1
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)