Jul 2, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
Just a few months after completing a 22-13 season, his third 20-win campaign as the head coach at VMI, Duggar Baucom has been rewarded with a contract extension through the 2018-19 season. The school announced the news Wednesday afternoon.
“I am excited to have the opportunity to lead VMI Basketball through 2019,” Baucom said in the release. “I am very proud of the competitive program we have established at VMI. The credit for the success we have built here is far reaching. Our achievements are due to my outstanding coaching staff, strength coach, training staff, academic support personnel, sports information department, administrative assistant and the great support of our loyal Keydet Nation.”
Last season Baucom’s Keydets made the program’s first postseason appearance in 37 years as they played in the CIT. Simply making the event wasn’t enough for VMI however, as they won three games before falling to Yale in the semifinals.
In nine seasons at VMI, Baucom has posted a record of 140-140 and his teams have reached the Big South tournament title game on three separate occasions. VMI will have to account for the graduation of two of their top three scorers in forward/center D.J. Covington and guard Rodney Glasgow, with both earning first team All-Big South honors, but guard QJ Peterson will be back for his sophomore campaign.
Peterson posted averages of 19.0 points and 5.6 rebounds per game in VMI’s high-paced system, and he was named to the league’s second team all-conference squad.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)