Jul 2, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
Just a few months after completing a 22-13 season, his third 20-win campaign as the head coach at VMI, Duggar Baucom has been rewarded with a contract extension through the 2018-19 season. The school announced the news Wednesday afternoon.
“I am excited to have the opportunity to lead VMI Basketball through 2019,” Baucom said in the release. “I am very proud of the competitive program we have established at VMI. The credit for the success we have built here is far reaching. Our achievements are due to my outstanding coaching staff, strength coach, training staff, academic support personnel, sports information department, administrative assistant and the great support of our loyal Keydet Nation.”
Last season Baucom’s Keydets made the program’s first postseason appearance in 37 years as they played in the CIT. Simply making the event wasn’t enough for VMI however, as they won three games before falling to Yale in the semifinals.
In nine seasons at VMI, Baucom has posted a record of 140-140 and his teams have reached the Big South tournament title game on three separate occasions. VMI will have to account for the graduation of two of their top three scorers in forward/center D.J. Covington and guard Rodney Glasgow, with both earning first team All-Big South honors, but guard QJ Peterson will be back for his sophomore campaign.
Peterson posted averages of 19.0 points and 5.6 rebounds per game in VMI’s high-paced system, and he was named to the league’s second team all-conference squad.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)