Jul 2, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Minnesota transfer Wally Ellenson has announced that he will be transferring to Marquette in the fall.
The 6-foot-6 Ellenson left the Golden Gophers in February to pursue the high jump, and it worked, as he finished second in the event at the NCAA finals. He previously had won gold at the Pan-American Junior Championships in Medellin, Colombia.
Ellenson played in just 18 games in his two seasons with Minnesota. He’ll have to sit out the 2014-2015 season in hoops, but he will have two years of eligibility left on the hardwood beginning in 2015-2016.
What’s interesting about this move has less to do with Wally than it does with his younger, but bigger, brother. Henry is a 6-foot-10, 230 pound, five-star recruit that currently ranks 17th nationally in the Class of 2015, according to Rivals.com. He’s being recruited by everyone — Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State, Wisconsin and … Marquette.
New Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski has done a good job with the in-state kids that he’s targeted. He kept top 100 commit Sandy Cohen from leaving after Buzz Williams left, he still holds a commitment from Class of 2015 top 100 guard Nick Noskowiak and he landed a commitment from three-star big man Mark Heldt.
The Ellensons are also from Wisconsin. Is Wojo adding Wally with an eye on bringing Henry aboard as well?
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)