Jul 2, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Minnesota transfer Wally Ellenson has announced that he will be transferring to Marquette in the fall.
The 6-foot-6 Ellenson left the Golden Gophers in February to pursue the high jump, and it worked, as he finished second in the event at the NCAA finals. He previously had won gold at the Pan-American Junior Championships in Medellin, Colombia.
Ellenson played in just 18 games in his two seasons with Minnesota. He’ll have to sit out the 2014-2015 season in hoops, but he will have two years of eligibility left on the hardwood beginning in 2015-2016.
What’s interesting about this move has less to do with Wally than it does with his younger, but bigger, brother. Henry is a 6-foot-10, 230 pound, five-star recruit that currently ranks 17th nationally in the Class of 2015, according to Rivals.com. He’s being recruited by everyone — Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State, Wisconsin and … Marquette.
New Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski has done a good job with the in-state kids that he’s targeted. He kept top 100 commit Sandy Cohen from leaving after Buzz Williams left, he still holds a commitment from Class of 2015 top 100 guard Nick Noskowiak and he landed a commitment from three-star big man Mark Heldt.
The Ellensons are also from Wisconsin. Is Wojo adding Wally with an eye on bringing Henry aboard as well?
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)