Jul 2, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Minnesota transfer Wally Ellenson has announced that he will be transferring to Marquette in the fall.
The 6-foot-6 Ellenson left the Golden Gophers in February to pursue the high jump, and it worked, as he finished second in the event at the NCAA finals. He previously had won gold at the Pan-American Junior Championships in Medellin, Colombia.
Ellenson played in just 18 games in his two seasons with Minnesota. He’ll have to sit out the 2014-2015 season in hoops, but he will have two years of eligibility left on the hardwood beginning in 2015-2016.
What’s interesting about this move has less to do with Wally than it does with his younger, but bigger, brother. Henry is a 6-foot-10, 230 pound, five-star recruit that currently ranks 17th nationally in the Class of 2015, according to Rivals.com. He’s being recruited by everyone — Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State, Wisconsin and … Marquette.
New Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski has done a good job with the in-state kids that he’s targeted. He kept top 100 commit Sandy Cohen from leaving after Buzz Williams left, he still holds a commitment from Class of 2015 top 100 guard Nick Noskowiak and he landed a commitment from three-star big man Mark Heldt.
The Ellensons are also from Wisconsin. Is Wojo adding Wally with an eye on bringing Henry aboard as well?
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)