Jul 2, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Minnesota transfer Wally Ellenson has announced that he will be transferring to Marquette in the fall.
The 6-foot-6 Ellenson left the Golden Gophers in February to pursue the high jump, and it worked, as he finished second in the event at the NCAA finals. He previously had won gold at the Pan-American Junior Championships in Medellin, Colombia.
Ellenson played in just 18 games in his two seasons with Minnesota. He’ll have to sit out the 2014-2015 season in hoops, but he will have two years of eligibility left on the hardwood beginning in 2015-2016.
What’s interesting about this move has less to do with Wally than it does with his younger, but bigger, brother. Henry is a 6-foot-10, 230 pound, five-star recruit that currently ranks 17th nationally in the Class of 2015, according to Rivals.com. He’s being recruited by everyone — Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State, Wisconsin and … Marquette.
New Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski has done a good job with the in-state kids that he’s targeted. He kept top 100 commit Sandy Cohen from leaving after Buzz Williams left, he still holds a commitment from Class of 2015 top 100 guard Nick Noskowiak and he landed a commitment from three-star big man Mark Heldt.
The Ellensons are also from Wisconsin. Is Wojo adding Wally with an eye on bringing Henry aboard as well?
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 0
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (6)
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)