Jul 3, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Rick Brunson was arrested in Chicago on June 25th after being accused of a sexual assault at a fitness center. The news was first reported by Matt Breen of Philly.com.
According to a Vernon Hills (Ill.) police report, Brunson grabbed an employee of Lifetime Fitness and was charged with attempted criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual abuse, and third-degree aggravated battery.
So who is Rick Brunson?
Well, that’s where this story gets a bit interesting.
One of the hottest rumors on the recruiting trail this spring was that Brunson was on his way to becoming an assistant coach at Temple, where he played his college ball under John Chaney. He’s coached at the collegiate and the professional level, most recently with the Charlotte Bobcats, but what makes him such an intriguing target is his son.
Jalen Brunson is one of the top point guards in the Class of 2015 and a top 15 player nationally. Brunson would be hired as a fulltime assistant coach, meaning that he would be able to recruit and that his son would be allowed to join the program. Package deals are only allowed if a team is willing to use one of their three assistant spots on the deal.
Will this arrest cost Rick a job at Temple if that means it will also cost the Owls their shot at landing Jalen?
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)