Jul 3, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Rick Brunson was arrested in Chicago on June 25th after being accused of a sexual assault at a fitness center. The news was first reported by Matt Breen of Philly.com.
According to a Vernon Hills (Ill.) police report, Brunson grabbed an employee of Lifetime Fitness and was charged with attempted criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual abuse, and third-degree aggravated battery.
So who is Rick Brunson?
Well, that’s where this story gets a bit interesting.
One of the hottest rumors on the recruiting trail this spring was that Brunson was on his way to becoming an assistant coach at Temple, where he played his college ball under John Chaney. He’s coached at the collegiate and the professional level, most recently with the Charlotte Bobcats, but what makes him such an intriguing target is his son.
Jalen Brunson is one of the top point guards in the Class of 2015 and a top 15 player nationally. Brunson would be hired as a fulltime assistant coach, meaning that he would be able to recruit and that his son would be allowed to join the program. Package deals are only allowed if a team is willing to use one of their three assistant spots on the deal.
Will this arrest cost Rick a job at Temple if that means it will also cost the Owls their shot at landing Jalen?
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)