Jul 3, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Rick Brunson was arrested in Chicago on June 25th after being accused of a sexual assault at a fitness center. The news was first reported by Matt Breen of Philly.com.
According to a Vernon Hills (Ill.) police report, Brunson grabbed an employee of Lifetime Fitness and was charged with attempted criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual abuse, and third-degree aggravated battery.
So who is Rick Brunson?
Well, that’s where this story gets a bit interesting.
One of the hottest rumors on the recruiting trail this spring was that Brunson was on his way to becoming an assistant coach at Temple, where he played his college ball under John Chaney. He’s coached at the collegiate and the professional level, most recently with the Charlotte Bobcats, but what makes him such an intriguing target is his son.
Jalen Brunson is one of the top point guards in the Class of 2015 and a top 15 player nationally. Brunson would be hired as a fulltime assistant coach, meaning that he would be able to recruit and that his son would be allowed to join the program. Package deals are only allowed if a team is willing to use one of their three assistant spots on the deal.
Will this arrest cost Rick a job at Temple if that means it will also cost the Owls their shot at landing Jalen?
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)