Jul 3, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
After missing the final seven games of the 2013-14 season due to a stress fracture in his left foot, California center Kameron Rooks entered the offseason with hopes of not only getting healthy but also becoming a more integral figure for the Golden Bears. And with Richard Solomon out of eligibility, the door was open for the rising sophomore to step forward and earn more than the seven minutes he averaged as a freshman.
Unfortunately for Rooks and new head coach Cuonzo Martin there’s a good chance that the 7-footer won’t be able to play this season, with multiple outlets reporting that Rooks suffered a torn ACL in his left knee last week. And considering who the Golden Bears have in their front court, the loss of Rooks is a significant one.
While Cal returns starter David Kravish, who averaged 11.4 points, 7.7 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game last season, he’s by far the most experienced front court player on the roster. David Behrens averaged 1.0 points and 1.4 rebounds per contest in 24 games last season, and Roger Moute a Bidias played 5.9 minutes per game in 15 contests in 2013-14.
The addition of 7-foot-1 center Kingsley Okoroh, who originally committed to join Martin’s program at Tennessee, will help the Golden Bears. However with the loss of Rooks (and the de-commitment of Idrissa Diallo when Mike Montgomery announced his retirement), Cal will enter the 2014-15 season without much margin for error in the paint when it comes to factors such as foul trouble and injuries.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)