Jul 4, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Having narrowed his list of choices to six schools in February, 2015 four-star center Daniel Giddens is seen by scouts as a player capable of helping his new team immediately on the defensive end of the floor. Friday afternoon the Marietta, Ga. native announced his decision to attend Ohio State.
Giddens, who was born on Independence Day, picked Ohio State over Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana and Kansas. This is a big development for Thad Matta’s program, which struggled with inconsistency in the post last season. Neither Trey McDonald nor Amir Williams enjoyed the best of seasons in 2013-14, and following the season the program added Temple transfer Anthony Lee in hopes of improving the depth and production of the front court.
All three of those players are seniors in 2014-15, meaning that adding depth (and skill) to the front court rotation was important for the Buckeyes with regards to the 2015 class. Ohio State also added Virginia Tech transfer Trevor Thompson this spring, and he along with Marc Loving, Giddens and 2014 signee David Bell will be asked to lead the way for the Buckeyes in the paint in 2015-16.
Giddens is Ohio State’s fourth verbal commitment in the 2015 class, joining guards A.J. Harris and Austin Grandstaff and small forward Mickey Mitchell.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Throwback Thursday: Which Jim Calhoun rant was the best Jim Calhoun rant? (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)