Jul 4, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Having narrowed his list of choices to six schools in February, 2015 four-star center Daniel Giddens is seen by scouts as a player capable of helping his new team immediately on the defensive end of the floor. Friday afternoon the Marietta, Ga. native announced his decision to attend Ohio State.
Giddens, who was born on Independence Day, picked Ohio State over Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana and Kansas. This is a big development for Thad Matta’s program, which struggled with inconsistency in the post last season. Neither Trey McDonald nor Amir Williams enjoyed the best of seasons in 2013-14, and following the season the program added Temple transfer Anthony Lee in hopes of improving the depth and production of the front court.
All three of those players are seniors in 2014-15, meaning that adding depth (and skill) to the front court rotation was important for the Buckeyes with regards to the 2015 class. Ohio State also added Virginia Tech transfer Trevor Thompson this spring, and he along with Marc Loving, Giddens and 2014 signee David Bell will be asked to lead the way for the Buckeyes in the paint in 2015-16.
Giddens is Ohio State’s fourth verbal commitment in the 2015 class, joining guards A.J. Harris and Austin Grandstaff and small forward Mickey Mitchell.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)