Jul 4, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Having narrowed his list of choices to six schools in February, 2015 four-star center Daniel Giddens is seen by scouts as a player capable of helping his new team immediately on the defensive end of the floor. Friday afternoon the Marietta, Ga. native announced his decision to attend Ohio State.
Giddens, who was born on Independence Day, picked Ohio State over Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana and Kansas. This is a big development for Thad Matta’s program, which struggled with inconsistency in the post last season. Neither Trey McDonald nor Amir Williams enjoyed the best of seasons in 2013-14, and following the season the program added Temple transfer Anthony Lee in hopes of improving the depth and production of the front court.
All three of those players are seniors in 2014-15, meaning that adding depth (and skill) to the front court rotation was important for the Buckeyes with regards to the 2015 class. Ohio State also added Virginia Tech transfer Trevor Thompson this spring, and he along with Marc Loving, Giddens and 2014 signee David Bell will be asked to lead the way for the Buckeyes in the paint in 2015-16.
Giddens is Ohio State’s fourth verbal commitment in the 2015 class, joining guards A.J. Harris and Austin Grandstaff and small forward Mickey Mitchell.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)