Jul 4, 2014, 2:13 PM EST
Having narrowed his list of choices to six schools in February, 2015 four-star center Daniel Giddens is seen by scouts as a player capable of helping his new team immediately on the defensive end of the floor. Friday afternoon the Marietta, Ga. native announced his decision to attend Ohio State.
Giddens, who was born on Independence Day, picked Ohio State over Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana and Kansas. This is a big development for Thad Matta’s program, which struggled with inconsistency in the post last season. Neither Trey McDonald nor Amir Williams enjoyed the best of seasons in 2013-14, and following the season the program added Temple transfer Anthony Lee in hopes of improving the depth and production of the front court.
All three of those players are seniors in 2014-15, meaning that adding depth (and skill) to the front court rotation was important for the Buckeyes with regards to the 2015 class. Ohio State also added Virginia Tech transfer Trevor Thompson this spring, and he along with Marc Loving, Giddens and 2014 signee David Bell will be asked to lead the way for the Buckeyes in the paint in 2015-16.
Giddens is Ohio State’s fourth verbal commitment in the 2015 class, joining guards A.J. Harris and Austin Grandstaff and small forward Mickey Mitchell.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)